Hello! Newbie here. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello! Newbie here.

New to planted Tank - but used the site leading up to which plants I want to purchase with all the helpful information. (when I started, I was sold some non-aquatic plants and vowed to have a planted tank and make it the best I could make it.)

Since then, this hobby has taken me through two tanks - from a 1g to now a 3g. I recently added more plants to the tank and excited to see the new plants establish themselves in the mix.

I like to think I did good for my first tank - granted, I didn't like grow things from seeds or anything... but, placement has been fun. And I'm happy with the results. As I learn more, I'll probably do more things... This tank is at my work on my desk and makes for a great distraction from looking at a computer screen all day. I want to do a larger planted tank at home one day with a CO2 system. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
good for a beginner. plants look healthy. My only suggestion would be to change your gravel our for pea gravel, pool filter sand, or something like eco complete or flourite (which your plants would appreciate) I had blue gravel in my first tank and boy am I glad I got rid of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah I agree with kamikazi, switching the gravel makes a huge difference as I started with blue gravel also. If you like you can check out my journal and you can see the transition for blue gravel to sand and some pebbles giving it a natural look. I almost forgot to say your plants look healthy and thats a cool looking betta

10 gallon Halfmoon

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've considered that. It will have to wait for a few paychecks though. I thought about going sand - research mentioned it's the easiest to clean since any waste or uneaten food (which there is never any uneaten food since i'm very pellet controlled) does not get down into the substrate.

And if I go sand, probably going to go black sand. And if not, going eco-complete. Just waiting for the right time and before the Baby's Tears branch out.

I've never done Baby's Tears before.. not sure how easy they are to transplant if they start sending out runners.

*Please tell me that Sand or Eco Complete are easier to plant plants into..
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Algae Grower

im still a newbie too but i believe eco complete would be better for plants. you can always add a layer of sand on top of the eco. If you do get sand its cheaper to go to home depo and get silica sand.

10 gallon Halfmoon

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't know about capping Eco complete with sand I mean you can do it but I can't think of a reason for it. I mean if the sand was black like the Eco you want to use cool but I don't know of any cheap black sand at home depot.

Great looking plants and betta. I'm with everyone else on the gravel Eco would look great in that tank. Welcome buddy, welcome.

I never needed the "For Dummies" book for my dogs but for a glass box WoW.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'd go with http://www.zoosand.com/ if I did sand.. They're right down the block from my work.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
You need a Unicorn in there.

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

heh. The Last Unicorn is a graphic novel based on the P. Beagle book. My boyfriend bought it for me. The art in it is fantastic. The Zombies V. Unicorn was a gift from a co-worker. They're mostly conversation pieces. I have many other figurines for my geek-o-sphere.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Unicorns have a great advantage over zombies. Their brains are protected by an impaler.
I really like that your tank has "Sammich" written on it. That made me guffaw.

I agree with the substrate suggestions, a natural color would really do your tank justice.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's dry erase. Because the tank is at work, I've had to also posts "don't feed the fish" signs. I had an incident in my first tank where someone "helped" me and f'd up the tank with rotting un-eaten food over a weekend.

Ended up with the betta getting finrot. fun times. This tank, they can't easily feed the fish, and I've since then moved all my supplies into a little cart.

So, the name written is mostly for people who walk by.

Yeah, pretty much the substrate as is, had to work with what I had. And I didn't want to waste it. What'll likely do is once I get something else, I'll switch it out and stuff some of the gravel in a nylon stocking to sit in the tank for a week. I'm pretty sure most of my bacteria colonies are in the filter and biowheel, but I don't discount the ones in the gravel currently.

Besides, I hear sand is much easier to clean come water change time.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

unless I do eco-complete.. >.> all a mater of money and paychecks at this point.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Changed substrate. Potting soil layer capped with Super Natural Tahiti Moon sand in black
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Way nicer with the black sub...

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I also got some liquid fertilizer for the leafzone... is that okay to use in conjunction with monthly roottabs too?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode