Fluval spec planning? (planting HC from an emerged setup?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Fluval spec planning? (planting HC from an emerged setup?)

So I have A lot of HC growing emersed, and tomorrow I will be getting the Fluval spec. So, two questions: is the spec's stock light capable of growing HC? I will dose excel daily, and if necessary, pressurized co2. And 2: how do I transplant HC from my emersed setup to the tank for a dry start? I've only planted HC from a pot... And how long should I have the dsm going? I will have enough to fill the bottom, but how long shall I let it go for proper roots to develop? Thanks.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Cmon, I really could use some help here!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
You never know til you try. I'd grow it submerged as soon as possible. Plant it DEEP. Lot of Excel or CO2 will help. It'll take at least a month closer to two to really establish....maybe supplement the stock light with a CF bulb during the grow out stage.

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have never had problems switching HC from emersed to submersed. However I use CO2 and do not dose Excel. When grown emersed the new HC leaves are a bit larger. I've never had the yellowing or melting I've read about. I dose EI emersed and submersed.

You can take small stems of HC that are 2-4 segments long and simply lay them leaf side up directly on the substrate. The new growth and roots will work their way down and take hold.

I agree with shrimpnmoss that adding in some extra light might be a good idea when doing the dry start. It can't really hurt anything, as long as the lights aren't on for more than 12 hours max. You'll know there is enough light if the HC is growing out nice and flat.

Not sure if any of that helps you out

The Fraternity of Dirt #12
Six Quart Hex

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode