1.5 Gallon Betta Oasis - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
1.5 Gallon Betta Oasis

This is a my 1 gallon tank I picked up at Goodwill. Early on in my newbieness I tried two guppys and a two ghost shrimp in this thing, with a internal filter etc. needless to say it was a failure.

It is now home to a female betta, java fern, pelia and didiplis diandra.

There is no heater, no CO2, no filter. I do 75-80% water changes once every 1 or 2 weeks. I feed the betta, on days I'm in the office usually Mon, Wed and Fri.

Substrate is the last little bit of floramax I had left over from my 29 gallon tank. There is a wild collected quartz rock.

Lighting is the standard 7Watt "night light" type bulb, I recently up-fitted the hood with aluminum foil which is a big improvement over the black.

See post #14 for start of current location and setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kamikazi; 05-10-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love it... I'm planning out my 1 gal office bowl currently... still debating on a betta or a trio of white clouds... I'm leaning towards the white clouds because the temp in the office is just too unstable, lol.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefiend View Post
Love it... I'm planning out my 1 gal office bowl currently... still debating on a betta or a trio of white clouds... I'm leaning towards the white clouds because the temp in the office is just too unstable, lol.
yeh, my office temp varies alot, especially when transitioning from summer to winter and winter to summer. I got the betta this winter and so far she is doing fine.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Location: In a little town in the central valley of California!
Looks great!

I think you've inspired me to plant my little female betta's tank :P
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
It looks nice, but are you sure that's a female betta? The fins look too long for a female. Cute tank all the same though
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
harder to tell than normal, but yes that looks to be a female betta :P
good little tank.
though if you find some nice branchy DW that can be put flat against that back wall, you could make a sweet background by putting the moss on that DW, and finding a darker colored rock...
i think the 3-D background with DW and moss would greatly improve this

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
harder to tell than normal, but yes that looks to be a female betta :P
good little tank.
though if you find some nice branchy DW that can be put flat against that back wall, you could make a sweet background by putting the moss on that DW, and finding a darker colored rock...
i think the 3-D background with DW and moss would greatly improve this
good idea, i'll look into that....I hate java moss though, so maybe I find some other moss I like better.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taari View Post
It looks nice, but are you sure that's a female betta? The fins look too long for a female. Cute tank all the same though
pretty sure, sold as a female, has a pretty distinct egg spot, i haven't noticed a beard but I will check tomorrow when I see her again.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

No beard that I can see, so again pretty sure its female.

This little tank is now at home and doing just fine. Rock is gone, there is a couple small branches along the back. I replaced it at work with a 15 gallon tank I have some updated pictures, I just need to upload them.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
awesome, but maybe its just me, but shouldnt it be in a corner? it just seems weird to me that the tank sides converge like that in the front. lol. Or maybe I just never seen this kind of tank.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket_lfe View Post
awesome, but maybe its just me, but shouldnt it be in a corner? it just seems weird to me that the tank sides converge like that in the front. lol. Or maybe I just never seen this kind of tank.
Nope, you can tell by how the lid is made. They just gave it a weird shape!

I have the same one on my desk, though I don't use the lid so I can have a cfl on it. I turned mine so one of the flat sides is facing me. This makes it fairly far back to the other side. The visual depth is nice.

that I haven't done anything with yet.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket_lfe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebkraft View Post
Nope, you can tell by how the lid is made. They just gave it a weird shape!

I have the same one on my desk, though I don't use the lid so I can have a cfl on it. I turned mine so one of the flat sides is facing me. This makes it fairly far back to the other side. The visual depth is nice.
calebkraft is right, its meant that face out like that. it's not my favorite tank design by any means, but it was only like 2 bucks at goodwill.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I had this tank in a corner and put the bubbler in the back corner that was cut off, I treated it like a regular square... But it looks just as good like that...

Make sure you link to the new 15 gallon... If you already have this with the gal, I cant wait to see what you do with more... edit, found it in the sig

|
|
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Betta Oasis

This my journal for my 1.5 gallon planted betta tank. Plants are diplias dandria, java fern and pellia.
Substrate is some extra floramax and pea gravel I had from my 29. Light is the standard candle incandescent bulb. put aluminum foil in the top to provide better reflection of the light. I don't dose anything in this tank. No heater, no filter. I do a 50% water change whenever I get around to it, which usually works out to about once every couple weeks. Been up and running for a year.

The dots are air bubbles on the glass, I had just finished a water change.

Last edited by kamikazi; 05-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I decided I wanted all my journals in one section so this is now here
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...tta-oasis.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode