ph Problem in 5 gallon Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
ph Problem in 5 gallon Tank

Hello everyone, I am still new to having a planted tank but i am familiar with the basics from a standard setup. I have a 5 gallon tank and currenty cannot get the ph to go up it is staying at 6.0. i have a substrate for planted tanks, the eco-complete brand (only brand my local store had), also for plants sword grass, a hedge, foxtail, marimo ball and java moss. The java moss is about a week new, i havent added fish yet because the ph is so low. Everything else is where is should be, water is not hard, alkilinity is fine, 0 nitrates and 0 nitrites. I tried a ph solution, which i diluted first adn slowly added over the course of a few days got it to 7.0 for about a day then is bottomed out again. Water is clear just acidic, worried that it will kill some plants and throw everything even more off balance

Is there something i am missing or are things going to level out over a longer period of time.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WATduh
Hi Xelcapytan, how long has your tank been up and running? Is this water coming from your tap or are you adding from a store-bought source? I'm also assuming your tank cycled already...

50b Amazonian Biotype
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check my latest tank videos below:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~02-28-2012 Update Video

~Dripping in New Otos
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to WATduh
Just a side bar before you respond- IMO don't mess with your pH. Don't add chemicals to you water like pH Up. Those are temporary fixes and all they do is stress your tank. If you add things like baking powder to your water- you will have to continue to do so every time you change your water to replicate the condition you changed.

If you have acidic water- that's fine. There are plenty of species who will do just fine with your pH level. Most commercially bred fish adapt well to a variety of conditions with proper acclimation. In fact- ideal conditions for neon tetras are from 5.8-6.2 pH. Neons will also thrive in a pH of 7.2 because they adapt (they just won't breed).

The most important thing about pH is it remains consistent.

50b Amazonian Biotype

Check my latest tank videos below:

~02-28-2012 Update Video

~Dripping in New Otos

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

i'd say about a month and a half, i had a shrimp in there at one point, but some huge ammonia spike out of no where so i did a full water change, lost a wisteria plant to black spot just prior. After the change it had a cloudy bloom and it cleared out after 4 days.
I used tap water and treated it with water conditioner before adding it to the tank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

i was thinking about going back to betta's... however with my water quality being in a delicate balance, i worry about dropsy. looking for a solitary fish that will expland to the 45 gallon octogon tank i am repairing at the moment. trying to propigate plants to move over to that tank. I haven't used a ph up chemical, heard those were bad for plants, was thinking about crushed coral, still doing research on it. letting tank sit for a another few weeks before i consider anything else for it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Algae Grower

I wouldn't say ph balancers are bad, in vancouver the water ph and hardness is very acidic and low. I know that some pet stores here use Seachem alkaline buffer. I bought a bottle of it and it can treat 500 gallons for 300 grams. You basically wont have to buy buffer for a long time especially if its a 5 gallon tank. Its 1 teaspoon for 1 level for a 10 gallon aquarium and you would only use it when you do a 25% water change or 50% (thus added half that amount)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode