The College Tank Journal: Anubias Rescue - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The College Tank Journal: Anubias Rescue

New here! just joined this forum. I've been on APC forever, and have lurked this site for a while... So I thought I'd share!

Anyways, I'm a bad aquarium owner. I kinda let an algae problem run rampant, and went from this:

To this:

In a little over 8 months.

Needless to say, I saw a small bit of life in the foul smelling, gray-green matter, and was surprised to find that my anubias had grow quite large, and though not completely healthy, were worthy of being rescued.

5 hours of paper towels, bleach, and LFS stops later, I present to you
my new 2.5 Gal Nano-nano Iwagumi-Anbias rehabilitation tank.

Planted!

Filled!

I'm actually leaving for college in a month, so hopefully this tank won't be too hard to transport. =P
Freshman year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
And here are some other up-to-date photos

A few rhizomes melted away, but fortunately, the majority of my anubias survived with minor leaf melt-age.
Those that did survive are now growing much faster than I've seen them grow before.
I'm postulating that its due to the addition of pressurized CO2. :whoo:

Anyways, Here's some pics:

New Fauna: 3 Endlers, 2 feeder guppy females, 1 otto, 5 Ghost shrimp.

New Flora: Javamoss and Mini Bolbitis (testing the crap off of ebay)

I don't think the Mini Bolbitis was a smart investment. 2 weeks+ and no growth whatsoever.
Its more or less likely an amphibious terrestrial.

And here's some photos of the DIY pressurized paintball setup ~ $45

And as you can see, my drop checker reads: PERFECTO

I'm pretty surprised. Its been about a month and a half, and the 9 oz bottle is still going strong. Only $2.50 to fill as well.

As for the drop checker, definitely surprised with the difference a 4dKH solution makes. Its way more responsive than aquarium water. .
My aquarium's KH is about 12, and I had to blow into the test tube for a good 20 seconds to get any color change. The 4dKH solution, however, changed almost instantly when I blew into the test tube.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Did you notice any mini Swampthing footsteps leaving your tank when you cleaned it?

Looks nice after the hard cleaning work though. Anubias are very hardy plants as you can see.

Well the snail trap is not working. Maybe wrong bait. I did not have cucumber or cabbage at home so I put some banana instead but they all climb to the wall of the tank. Maybe they know it is a trap. Will try one more night and observe. This time with cucumber which is recommended. ~ CHUNTC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
awesome rescue!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Any updates? I like the mountain/rock mound, what kind of rocks are those? I suggest adding some black poster board or something for a background.

Rex

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode