First Time Planted! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Time Planted!

Hi, this is my first post her, hope it is in the correct place

Ive been fish keeping for about 10 years now, have been keeping reefs for about 6 years, have just shut down a lovely SPS reef

But thought I would have a go at planted as ive never done it before and I think they look lovely.

The tank I have is only a nano its 43L x 27w x 35h so about 40L. I want to keep the tank fairly low tech where im not newbie to fish tanks etc I am to planted.

My plan was to use a 3" caribsea eco complete bed, drift wood and smooth stones. As to plants... not sure yet as still researching and learning, but not to hot on them yet. Filter is just a HOB filter rated to 90L.

Now lighting has been the one thats been throwing me.. Im used to SPS reefs where a massive amount of light is needed... Ive read the more light you throw at a planted tank the "high tech" it becomes so you need c02 etc... dont fancy that just yet. I was going for the the Super fish 18w light as it seems to fit the needs. Is that ok to keep it low tech???

As for ferts was going to use seachem flourish excel as per the bottle.. do i need anyhing else other than a 20% water change each week? How am I doing so far? Thank you for any help.
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
some pictures would help...i really want to do a nano reef tank...wish you were closer...i'd help you...you help me..

|ShrimpTech|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nothing to take pics of as of yet really other than the empty tank. Still trying to learn before I go filling it up and jumping in

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
The answers to your questions depends on what types of plants you want to grow and what do you want your tank to look like. If you want to keep it low tech your set up should be fine. I've grown plants in plain gravel, but that also depends on the plants you put in. Aquasoil is the standard right now as far as ready to go substrates. There is also the mineralized substrate, dirt, sand, peat layers....lots of different options for substrate.

Do you want a carpet? What kind of carpet?

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

flourish excel only covers the carbon that plants need. you will need the macro nutrients N,P,K and the micro nutrients found in flourish comprehensive

20g red devil tank
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
The answers to your questions depends on what types of plants you want to grow and what do you want your tank to look like. If you want to keep it low tech your set up should be fine. I've grown plants in plain gravel, but that also depends on the plants you put in. Aquasoil is the standard right now as far as ready to go substrates. There is also the mineralized substrate, dirt, sand, peat layers....lots of different options for substrate.

Do you want a carpet? What kind of carpet?
Thanks for that, will check out the aqua soil you mentioned. Is that better than the Eco complete as an all in one solution. As for the plants and carpet Im open to suggestions as I really don't know much about them. Are there any easy ones to start with, any I shoould avoid? Think the only ones I remember from my tropical days are java fern, swords, Anubias. I do like the look of a carpet though.

Is my lighting ok? I was looking at using pacific LED 6500k bulb. Think the one I'd seen was 22w. But I like the look of the superfish one.

Will have a look at the flourish comprehensive as well - thank you.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)
For substraye go with turface aka haydite ... It looks natural. You wont regret it.

Eveything ele like others have said depends upon what you are driving for.

Can you copy some picturs of other tanks that you would like to replicate ... That's where many get started, trying to copy the style of others' works. In fact, that is how many musicians got started.

Use others' work as a spring board for your own.

Happy tanking,

Best wishes,
Wes

I quit!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers Wes, there are loads of tanks I really like the look of.. So many nice tanks out there.
I want to keep it as simple as possible, for the simple reason I just broke down my big SPS tank that was very complex to run. I closed that as all the "faffing" as my other half calls it was getting a bit much and taking the enjoyment out of it. So want to keep it simple.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How much flow should I be aiming for in the tank? The filter is a hob so don't think it will create much flow in the tank?
Cheers.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you want to keep it simple, stick with low light and low light plants. Java Fern, Anubias varieties, crypts, java moss will all do well in low tech scenarios.

The carpet will be tricky but its doable.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
If you want to keep it simple, stick with low light and low light plants. Java Fern, Anubias varieties, crypts, java moss will all do well in low tech scenarios.

The carpet will be tricky but its doable.
Thank you for that, how about flow? Do you think there will be enough flow out of the hob filter, it's a 500lph out put.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyspike View Post
Thank you for that, how about flow? Do you think there will be enough flow out of the hob filter, it's a 500lph out put.
not much help on that one, sorry.

If it was me I would set it up like it is and if I find its not enough upgrade to a bigger HOB or add a power head.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
not much help on that one, sorry.

If it was me I would set it up like it is and if I find its not enough upgrade to a bigger HOB or add a power head.
The filter itself is rated to 90l so plenty big enough, I've binned the media and gone for my own combo of ceramics, sponge and floss wool. Will see how it goes and if it looks like it needs a bit more flow will add a pico power head.

Ordered my light, substrate, sumartrian drift wood and attractive natural pebbles. Will give it a scape and see what I can come up with. The tanks going to have at least 3 weeks to fishless cycle before any fish or plants go in as I'm away in Sharm diving in the red sea on holiday
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyspike View Post
The filter itself is rated to 90l so plenty big enough, I've binned the media and gone for my own combo of ceramics, sponge and floss wool. Will see how it goes and if it looks like it needs a bit more flow will add a pico power head.

Ordered my light, substrate, sumartrian drift wood and attractive natural pebbles. Will give it a scape and see what I can come up with. The tanks going to have at least 3 weeks to fishless cycle before any fish or plants go in as I'm away in Sharm diving in the red sea on holiday
sounds like fun, will be looking forward to pictures of the tank when you return

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Havent updated this in a while... here is how its looking now.

cheers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode