5 gal setup help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 gal setup help

My gf gave me her old tank so Im going to get it started. I havent had a nice planted tank since my 29 cracked..... thats another story.... Anyways, the only filter I have is an Aquaclear 30, is this too big for the tank? Can I just put a plastic piece to disperse and smooth out the turbulence? Or should I get a little filter rated for 5-10 gal? Also are Corydoras suitable nano fish? I believe the LFS has "Panda" and "dwarf" varieties. How many could I put in here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Stuff that thing up with media and put a prefilter on it. That thing will slow down very fast. I've never kept corries so I can't comment on that I've always wanted a school of corries.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Yea, attach a sponge to the input. Not only will it provide a good surface for BB, but will reduce the flow as well. There are dwarf corys like the panda, but you wouldn't want more than a couple in a tank that small unless they are the only thing in there, in which case you could go with 4 or 5 IMO. Don't forget that cory cats really should have smooth, sand-like substrates as their barbels can be injured on gravel. (Learned that the hard way)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just checked the filter and its the aquaclear 50, butIll block the input and see if it stirs up anything. Yeah I love seeing the schools of corys peck around at the bottom. I have eco complete substrate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't aquaclears have an adjustable flow rate? The ones I had years ago did.

A great way to reduce the flow is add some hydroton into the box and plant some cool terrestrial vines that you wrap can around the top of the tank or hood, etc.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode