Hey all. First post here on PlantedTank, glad to be here! Newbie to FW planted tanks but I've been keeping SW reef tanks for a bit. Wanted something small, quiet and relatively low-tech/low maintenance to put in my bedroom (reef tank is in the living room) so after a few weeks of deliberation, I ended up picking up a Fluval Spec.
Here's what I've got so far:
- Fluval Spec
- Stock filter media (foam insert, carbon, Biomax)
- Stock LED lighting
- Stock pump
- Water, gravel and stones from an established tank
- 3 Neon Tetras
- Java Moss
Andddd here come the questions:
- I currently have it in an area that COULD get a few hours of direct sunlight if I keep my blinds open during the day. Was wondering if this would be a good idea for better plant growth, or if it would just cause additional algae growth.
- Are the bioballs a bad idea? I have heard varying opinions on this but I left them in since I don't have a huge amount of rock or driftwood or anything inside the tank for the nitrifying bacteria to propagate on (just the gravel, really).
- Is tap water + dechlorinator okay to use for water changes or topoffs? I have a RO/DI filter that I use for the reef. My building has copper piping so I don't think straight out of the tap would be a good idea but I might be wrong.
- Any ideas for other low-light/low-tech plants would be much appreciated
Got some great tanks on here and am definitely going to be sticking around. Hope to have some pics up soon!