Custom built 5.5 gallon nano **New pics 8/12** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Custom built 5.5 gallon nano **New pics 8/12**

I don't know how many people saw my other thread asking for advice on building it, since it was in the wrong forum >.>

But I went ahead and built the tank a few days ago. It's leak testing right now on my back porch and looks awesome. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. And only $21.50 in materials so far, for glass and silicone. Initial leak testing is going well, no initial leaks, and it's been sitting since about 3pm yesterday (it's 8am now) and shows no signs of any stress of weakness. The glass bow is only 1/32" not even noticeable, which makes me glad I used such thick glass. Leak testing will go about a week, but I'll update more once I start scaping, unless the tank has a catastrophic failure.

Tank specs:
5.5 gallons
30x6x7 internal dimensions

Stock:
Pair of Elassoma Gilberti

Plants:
Haven't decided yet, probably a few anubias nana and small crypts, floating plants.

Last edited by Taari; 08-12-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The tank is looking so nice...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looking good....im really tempted to do a diy tank just know my luck.. as soon as it is fully planted with fish in it will collapse!

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

900x750x450 optiwhite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used about half a tube of GE silicone 1 on this, I made kind of fat seams, so I don't think it's going anywhere. As I get better at building them I'll likely get better at the silicone too and be able to make smaller, smoother seams. Compared to like an ADA tank, my seams are huge and sloppy, but if they hold the tank together, I'm happy, hehe.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
I gotta ask where did you get the glass for so cheap?!

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
That looks great. I'd love to make a tank eventually. I really love the long tanks.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

HHuummmm, got me thinking now, i have a 30ft room that need a natural divider and have been considering a 7ft tank just a foot or so deep to create the divide in an awkward space. I think i might go and get some prices for some glass.....
Where did you find out how to build it?? youtube vids??

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eser21 View Post
HHuummmm, got me thinking now, i have a 30ft room that need a natural divider and have been considering a 7ft tank just a foot or so deep to create the divide in an awkward space. I think i might go and get some prices for some glass.....
Where did you find out how to build it?? youtube vids??
at 7 foot long you might need braces or something at that point and you're getting into a very large custom tank. everything I've read for the most part, under 10gals aren't that hard, but the bigger you go the thicker the glass and more things that have to be considered. Most people who do custom tanks start off very small and build their way up.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
eser21, you will have to make or find a spot that is over 7ft and is perfectly flat and level to build the tank on. I think doing euro bracing on your idea would work well.

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i never do anything small hahaha its a personality defect that i always jump straight in lol!
Yeah i have looked a little before at bracing when i first considered a custom, fortunately i have a friend who is a smart arse engineer who has said he could make up a couple of polished aluminium braces and corner trims. Could look quite modern and smart. First i have to build a cabinet, if i do that successfully then i will go straight into the tank. Just dont have the time ATM. I also happen to know a guy on a UK forum who might construct it i just need to convince him. He is amazing!! 1mm sealant lines etc One of his tanks came top 50 at ASWC

But this isnt my thread.... and im getting carried away dreaming like i have the money and time to do this right now!!!

Nice tank Taari, i have subcribed and look forward to the planting!!

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Tank looks pretty good...and for only $21.50 in materials you may have just given me an idea. That'd make a pretty good shrimp tank imo...also, I love your fish selection. So colorful.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got the glass from a salvage place, so it is used glass (recycling!) and I did not have the place polish the edges for me, as that would have been an extra $14, I did it myself with a piece of 360 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a block with a little water, it took down the edges nicely.

So the glass was $16.50 and the silicone was $5. Next time I am just going to buy a sheet of glass and cut it myself though, as I was kind of unimpressed with the cutting job they did. Some of the corners weren't square and the edges weren't flat and some of the pieces weren't quite the right measurement. None of it was off enough to effect the finished result, but if I'm going to do more tanks with smaller, cleaner seams, I'll have to have perfectly square glass that is cut at exactly the right size.

I got the idea to build it from necessity, really. My mom has orchids in her window, but can't find an attractive humidity tray, so I decided to build an aquarium for the orchids to sit on.

As for how, I read the sticky thread in the DIY forum here for the 75 gallon custom rimless and got enough info from there to figure the rest out myself.

Thanks for the comments everybody, I can't wait to get it scaped! But I have to go clean and prep the wood first and finish leak testing for another 6 days.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taari View Post
I got the glass from a salvage place, so it is used glass (recycling!) and I did not have the place polish the edges for me, as that would have been an extra $14, I did it myself with a piece of 360 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a block with a little water, it took down the edges nicely.

So the glass was $16.50 and the silicone was $5. Next time I am just going to buy a sheet of glass and cut it myself though, as I was kind of unimpressed with the cutting job they did. Some of the corners weren't square and the edges weren't flat and some of the pieces weren't quite the right measurement. None of it was off enough to effect the finished result, but if I'm going to do more tanks with smaller, cleaner seams, I'll have to have perfectly square glass that is cut at exactly the right size.

I got the idea to build it from necessity, really. My mom has orchids in her window, but can't find an attractive humidity tray, so I decided to build an aquarium for the orchids to sit on.

As for how, I read the sticky thread in the DIY forum here for the 75 gallon custom rimless and got enough info from there to figure the rest out myself.

Thanks for the comments everybody, I can't wait to get it scaped! But I have to go clean and prep the wood first and finish leak testing for another 6 days.
You're going to be even more disappointed in your first cutting job.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
this is a really cool project man. Glad to see a fellow DIYer! i've made a few tanks myself also, the latest attempt being a 5 gallon cube sorta deal. I just used an old ten gallon i got at a garage sale though instead of buying my own glass. I kinda wish i didn't though. the tank is really scratched up from the last owner. Not to hijack your thread, but here are some recent pictures :P

I've made a couple other nano tanks, but they were not nearly as good. I really like the dimensions of your tank though! looking forward to seeing updates!!

Ryan
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
That looks amazing and I love those dimensions! Can't wait to see it started up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode