2.5 gallon start - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5 gallon start

I've got a 2.5 gallon tank that I'm gonna do a low tech setup in. I have a couple of questions. What is the benefit in going rimless? I have a t5 NO 8 watt setup for this tank, is this gonna be enough light or should I go ahead and build a canopy for more light using spiral CF bulbs? As far as plants, I have some micro swords that I want to transfer from my 20, as they are just not doing good in that tank. Background will be java moss sandwiched between 2 screens. Other plants havent been decided on yet, but I'm leaning towards some crypts for background plants. For filtration, a whisper filter, the small HOB, and substrate will be mineralized soil capped with play sand, thoroughly washed. I can also get some sand that is somewhat coarser, if yall think that would be advantageous.
Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Seems like you got it all figured out. Some people just like the rimless look, better, looks cleaner. I personally prefer rimless tanks.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Do you know what fauna you want in the tank ? The only disadvantage to rimless may be if you choose fauna that have a tendency to jump out..
But other than that it seems like you have it planned out well Can't wait for pictures !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have fauna that don't care if it is rimless or not. Rimless is personal preference. Cleaner looking lines. A tank that small it should not matter if you remove the rim, just be really careful in the process you do not hurt yourself.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-RETIRED
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll leave it with the rim, as I'm planning on white cloud mountain minnows, and I believe they have a tendency to jump. I guess I'll go ahead with the setup, and will provide pictures when it's up and running!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to jwalls1082
What light are you using? Have a link to where you got it? I've been trying to figure out how to light my 2.5g and you might have my answer.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It came with a 10 gallon hexagonal tank. It's made by perfecto, but there are a million other lights out there that will work.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to jwalls1082
Okay. I know there are a lot that work, but I haven't seen any t5 lights that fit over a 2.5. I'll see what I can find. Thanks!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

you could always use this with a cf bulb.
http://www.lnt.com/show_product/1144...m=11442-516030

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode