New tank (need hel) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank (need hel)

Iīve been seting up a new tank, but things arenīt going pretty well right now.
Iīve started on April and have had a few problems, Co2 bottle was empty for about 2 weeks after about 1 month of the tank started and the lights went off for about 1 week after about 2 months of the tank started.
My plants were groing well, but with those problems theyīre not developing very good.

Tank specs:

80x40x40 cm
Light 150wts Hqi 26cm away from the water surface
ADA Aquasoil Africana
ADA Powersand

Plants:

Glosso carpet - excelent grow, carpet almost fullfield, needed to be trimmed every week, after almost dying when the lights went off.

Higrophyla polysperma - try to innovate, but didnīt went very well, i tied it to a wood, the idea was to grow the polysperma along the wood in the middle of the green plants.

Philipine Java fern - groing well, but is full of green algae kind of green spots

Bolbitis - groing well, but full of green algae

Rotala rotundifolia - not turning red

Since I have a very big slope in the back iīll give a litle bit more time to rotundifolia turn red, since i believe the roots didnīt touch powersand yet.

Iīve been testing the water, no Po4 and no No3 the results are very near to 0.

I start fertilizing but the green algae become stronger.

Now your help:

What kind of fertilizing should i do?
How many ppmīs of Po4 and No3 should I keep?
Shoul I change the lamp (itīs has been working for 2 years already)

Iīll post some photos in the future.

Thankīs
Luís Guerreiro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (47/100%)
I feel your pain. I can understand how frustrating it is to have algae in your tank.

But it sounds like your plants are starving, which is why algae is taking hold.

Before dosing, first vacuum up all algae in sight. Get rid of as much of it as possible. If some leaves are too infected with algae to save, and you can't rub them off, then simply cut those off. It'll be easier for the plants to recover.

Then put in some amano shrimp, nerite snails, and a few otocinclus fish. These guys make an awesome clean up crew, and will eat most of your algae.

After you've got your tank cleaned up, then start a dosing regiment 3 times per week.

What's worked for me in the past is to have:

Po4: 1-2 PPM
No3: 5-10 PPM (although a little more doesn't seem to harm anything)
Iron: 0.5 -1 PPM
K+: 15-30 PPM
CO2: 20-30 PPM (I like to keep it closer to 30 PPM)

Once your plants start coming back and are healthy, they will emit a chemical called alleopathy (sp?, correct me someone on my spelling), that will deter algae from flourishing to some degree. But this will take a number of weeks though.

Make sure to do 50% water changes once a week though to prevent a build up of fertilizers from accumulating in the tank. This method was thought up by Tom Barr and coined the term "Estimative Index".

I'd simply paste in the URL for it, but my firewall at work blocks that website.

Go to: www.aquaticplantcentral.com

Go to the fertilzer sub forum.

At the top of the forum, is a "sticky" for post. Most helpful indeed.

In the meantime, make sure to keep the CO2 constant (don't let it run empty), make sure to keep dosing, and make sure to do 50% water changes once a week.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,
thankīs for your answer. Despite I seem desperate the tank has not very algae, just a fine coat over the ferns and bolbitis, kind of a green tiny layer of velvet.

Glosso got trimmed twice since last week and appears to be very healthy. Although iīm worried that the water has no Po4 and No3. Shouldnīt there be a little?

Today I changed about 20% and start adding ADA Step 2. Will keep updating.

Regards
Luís Guerreiro

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode