My 10g Planted. Suggestions welcome! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 10g Planted. Suggestions welcome!

I have been lurking and asking a few questions on this site for a while now. I wanted to show you guys what I've done with the info I have acquired here. This is my first attempt at a planted tank. I have been at it for almost two years now and it's been a bumpy ride but I am pretty happy thus far. Any suggestions are appreciated as I am always trying to improve and get new ideas, thanks!

Edit: Fixed the image and attached it normally apparently it was broken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	33229  

Last edited by notsogreenthumb; 07-31-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

p.s. I know that mid-ground plant on the left looks like a stringy mess but i haven't come up with a good idea for something to replace it with. The left side of the tank is mostly where I am trying to focus my attention lately. The green patch is java moss tied to a rock which I am hoping will spread out among that little rock pile.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
cant see picture.. can you just attach it normally?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry I copied the URL....Guess it didnt work? How about now?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	33228  

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

o i see it now.
try scattering teh stones all over the tank randomly, and bury them into the sand so that they barely stick out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

you need a larger piece of DW, one that is branchy, and its about 2/3 to 3/4 of the height of your tank. and put some moss on it.
also can you tell what kind of light you are using. looks uneven.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The light is uneven...the hood has 2 bulbs in it but they are currently 2 different...I will fix that. I like the driftwood idea too. Maybe I can get a branchy piece for the left cause I like the one on the right. If i get some larger stones I'll try that too but the ones I have are too tiny to really half bury.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
If I were you I would drastically increase the density of plants you have in there. Once you increase the lighting enough for plants to thrive, you also increase the chances you will have algae problems. The more plant density you have, the less chance algae will explode and take over your tank.
What is that substrate you are using? It doesn't look like a plant substrate. It looks more like river sand or something. I have never tried it, but it is my understanding that plants have a difficult time growing in something like that, which is why sand is usually used for decorative effect, rather than the main substrate.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Algae Grower

Some smaller mid-height plants (ie something bushy like moss) would look great along with a few more larger rocks.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. The substrate is fine sand. I thought it was fine for plants but maybe not? Also, i tried getting 2 new lights, and bought incandescent bulbs which looked yellow and hated them. Is fluorescent the way to go to maintain a bright white light? One side of my tank has fluorescent and the other is incandescent. However the fluorescent bulb is only 9watts...Should I get something stronger if I plan to make the plant density higher?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
That looks like the same $25 Petsmart 10g combo I got. I use 2 13w spiral CFL bulbs and make sure they say "6500k". Also add some root tabs to the substrate, some driftwood branches, and maybe 1 larger stone. I just started my 10g. I'll be using plants from my different tanks to stock it. However, I'm only using rocks for the scape in the 10g.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
That looks like the same $25 Petsmart 10g combo I got. I use 2 13w spiral CFL bulbs and make sure they say "6500k". Also add some root tabs to the substrate, some driftwood branches, and maybe 1 larger stone. I just started my 10g. I'll be using plants from my different tanks to stock it. However, I'm only using rocks for the scape in the 10g.
Yup, couldn't argue with that deal. My fish will get a bigger tank when i get a bigger apt I am looking for some driftwood branches but everything i seem to see in stores is pieces of log like the one I have. Also, I do use root tabs. Where would it say 6500K? and what does that mean?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsogreenthumb View Post
Yup, couldn't argue with that deal. My fish will get a bigger tank when i get a bigger apt I am looking for some driftwood branches but everything i seem to see in stores is pieces of log like the one I have. Also, I do use root tabs. Where would it say 6500K? and what does that mean?
I got a medium sized piece of driftwood today to go in my 29g along with a much larger one. The medium one was only $8. I got my lights from Target. Theyre made by GE and come 1 lightbulb to a package. It says 6500k right on the front. That is the color spectrum that is best for plants. Most bulbs are in the 2700 - 3000k range. It puts out a nice white light that might even look a little blue. Make sure they are the Spiral kind and get the 13w kind. They were $5 each.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I grew plants just fine in play sand from home depot in my first planted tank, of course there was lots of detritus and decaying bits that got stirred into it, so that likely helped over time.

Walmart carries a 2 pack of GE 6500k daylight bulbs for about $6.50 they come in 13w, 15w, 20w, and 26w.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Took some suggestions

Ok so thanks to your suggestions I made some drastic changes in my tank and am happy with the way it looks (for now). I couldn't find a branchy piece of wood so I made due with another piece that sticks up. Got a large rock for the center, and added 3 additional plants. Also replaced my weird uneven lighting with 2x 15 watt CFL bulbs. Let me know what you guys think!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Tank.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	33421  

Name:	New tank 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	33422  

Name:	new tank 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	33423  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode