new here and here is my nano - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
new here and here is my nano

been into reef tanks for about 6 years and got htis on a really good trade so i wanted to do a planted tank hope you like and i need to learn alot i cant belive saltwater and freshwater are so differnet
thanks for looking jeremy



jerl77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North NJ
Posts: 2,246
looks like a good start. put christmas moss on that DW.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Newman is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
i hope i dont know much about this planted stuff
jerl77 is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PinoyBoy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: WA, USA
Posts: 1,357
Remove the stems from those lead weights and separate the grass and plant them abit farther apart if you want to have a foreground effect. The grass will fill-in in acouple of weeks to months, then you're foreground will be complete.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
PinoyBoy is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
will do thanks how many fish can i put in a 14 gallon nano?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Remove the stems from those lead weights and separate the grass and plant them abit farther apart if you want to have a foreground effect. The grass will fill-in in acouple of weeks to months, then you're foreground will be complete.
jerl77 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
Aphyosemion's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,073
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
The question isn't how many you can fit in there and get to survive, the question is how many will it take to look good while still balancing the tank. The more fish you add the more problems you are likely to have with algae, so I like to keep my fish load very light. If it were me, I would add half a dozen small fish like tetras and some shrimp such as cherries and amanos.
Also, as was previously stated, you will get way more mileage from that microsword grass by spreading it out throughout the foreground. You could also increase the density of the plants in the rear quite a bit and it will only improve both the appearance and the beneficial effect on the water parameters.
Welcome to the freshwater planted hobby! It is definitely different than saltwater and reefs but it is no less rewarding when you get your tank just the way you want it.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
Aphyosemion is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
thanks thats what i will do thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion View Post
The question isn't how many you can fit in there and get to survive, the question is how many will it take to look good while still balancing the tank. The more fish you add the more problems you are likely to have with algae, so I like to keep my fish load very light. If it were me, I would add half a dozen small fish like tetras and some shrimp such as cherries and amanos.
Also, as was previously stated, you will get way more mileage from that microsword grass by spreading it out throughout the foreground. You could also increase the density of the plants in the rear quite a bit and it will only improve both the appearance and the beneficial effect on the water parameters.
Welcome to the freshwater planted hobby! It is definitely different than saltwater and reefs but it is no less rewarding when you get your tank just the way you want it.
jerl77 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 314
Are those white spots on the glass, algae?
Quentin is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
yes from the salt water tank thatis was before ha ha ha
jerl77 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 1,746
No complaint, but just so you're aware, 14g isn't really a nano planted tank. Usually those are in the 0-5g range.

I'd second spreading out the clump of grass. You might wind up cutting it into multiple pieces in order to get it to spread. If it's Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, you might notice a tendency for the plant to push itself up out of the substrate as the roots grow, at least until it grows enough roots through the substrate to anchor itself. It's quite good at that sort of thing.

Once the plants begin to spread the ludwigia is going to be really really crowded if you keep it in a clump like it is. They don't branch out much (except for after trimming) but they do get substantially wider than the ones in your tank look as they grow.

In any case, it's a good start for a first planted tank. Have fun!
jasonpatterson is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
No complaint, but just so you're aware, 14g isn't really a nano planted tank. Usually those are in the 0-5g range.

I'd second spreading out the clump of grass. You might wind up cutting it into multiple pieces in order to get it to spread. If it's Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, you might notice a tendency for the plant to push itself up out of the substrate as the roots grow, at least until it grows enough roots through the substrate to anchor itself. It's quite good at that sort of thing.

Once the plants begin to spread the ludwigia is going to be really really crowded if you keep it in a clump like it is. They don't branch out much (except for after trimming) but they do get substantially wider than the ones in your tank look as they grow.

In any case, it's a good start for a first planted tank. Have fun!
Ok I thinks it a nano but the me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
jerl77 is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
majerah1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Easley,SC
Posts: 420
Great start!Cant really give any advice on the plants as its all been touched upon,and Im no expert anyhow.

But on the fish,i think you should add a small group of betta albimarginatas,or betta channoides,lol.But thats just me.

If you think thats a nano then what other sizes are your tanks,LOL.Bet they are huge!
majerah1 is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
my saltwater reef tank is 120 gallons witha 55 gallon sump and a 30 gallon frag tank so to me this is a nano ha ha ha
jerl77 is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerl77 View Post
my saltwater reef tank is 220 gallons witha 55 gallon sump and a 30 gallon frag tank so to me this is a nano ha ha ha
Here is a shot bad pic you get re idea

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1312133659205.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	33264  

jerl77 is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: long island ny
Posts: 14
One more

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1312133758252.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	33265  

jerl77 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome