1ft Starphire Cube - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1ft Starphire Cube

Yay!
It's setup now with a few plants borrowed from a buddy.
I'm going to have to find some stem plants.
Here are a few shots. Enjoy the terrible photography!

Last edited by nater3; 09-11-2005 at 08:45 PM. Reason: pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If it was my tank, I would light it with a 3x13watt AHSupply kit...not sure if that is an option for you though.

if you want to get really slick, a 70watt PFO mini HQI pendent would be awesome suspended up a bit!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nater3
I've placed my order for some Starphire glass to make a 1ft cube.
Good luck! When do you expect to see the glass, and when do you expect to have the pics? I've got glass on order too, and would love to see the photos!

All the best!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
where did you guys order the glass from?

As for filtering, you could drill the glass for some bulkheads and attach a fluval 203. Or a HOB filter.

BTW Scolley- how is your DIY project comming along?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
BTW Scolley- how is your DIY project comming along?
Glass is on order. Since I'm willing to take a mix-n-match of any of several brands of similar ultra-clear glass (to keep the cost down by using "remnants") I don't expect to have it all for many weeks or even months.

But nater3 here is going to have some great pics for us long before I get my glass! Looking to learn from you nater!

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

Scolley- can i ask where you ordered the glass from?

nater3 - make sure to update us with your progress! cant wait to see pics.

post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer
If it was my tank, I would light it with a 3x13watt AHSupply kit...not sure if that is an option for you though.

if you want to get really slick, a 70watt PFO mini HQI pendent would be awesome suspended up a bit!!!
Speaking of MH's, hows your salt water tank coming along?

Taken down

Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The salt water tank didn't happen, but something else did in its place ....I raised that money damn it..and I intend to use it properly LOL. custom tank, custom stand, Tek LightsT5HO, ADA substrates and ferts. Good stuff

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ordered from some local shop in my city. Regina, SK, Canada.

It was pretty damn expensive. About $12 per sheet sq ft. but that includes all edgework/cutting etc etc. The bottom of the tank will just be regular salvage glass so thats free. Glass cost for this project probably about $50 canadian.
Pricey
But I think it will be an excellent showpeice.

scolley I'm eyeing up your thread for inspiriation.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
About $12 per sheet sq ft. but that includes all edgework/cutting etc etc
Is that 1/4" or 3/8". I'm assuming 1/4". Wow. That is a lot.

By taking remnants of any low iron glass they have left over (Ultra-clear, Optiwhite, Starphire... and a few others that all basically look identical) I've been lucky enough to negotiate my 1/2" down to around $15/ft sq. But on the down side, who know how long until I have enough remnants?

You'll be probably be replaing your initatial algae-bustin' stems with slower grower before I even get my glass!

And my thread my be fun for inspiration, but Tom Barr appears to have some flat out experience at this. If you can pin him down for any questions, he's the guy that will know.

post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a few ideas for this tank.
I was thinking today that I could make a stand for it. maybe 6 inches high.

Concealed within the 13" x" 13" stand would be a rectangular flat container for
DIY Co2 mixture, approx 2 litre capacity. The remaining space would be taken up by a larger cont. with a pump in it for filtration. along with filter media of course.

Perhaps I could have 2 holes drilled in the bottom plate. 1/2" in diam. One for return and one for intake.

Plausible?
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

i think drilling holes for intake and return would make it look very clean.

post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I have a few ideas for this tank.
I was thinking today that I could make a stand for it. maybe 6 inches high.

Concealed within the 13" x" 13" stand would be a rectangular flat container for
DIY Co2 mixture, approx 2 litre capacity. The remaining space would be taken up by a larger cont. with a pump in it for filtration. along with filter media of course.

Perhaps I could have 2 holes drilled in the bottom plate. 1/2" in diam. One for return and one for intake.

Plausible?
Pics. I want...no, I DEMAND pics!

*LOL* Just yankin'. That sounds like a seriously sweet setup, though, and one I'd be willing to undertake. Showpiece, if there were ever one. And, I know this dawg's been beat to death...but THAT sounds like a great candidate for a tiny pressurized CO2 system.

Okay. It's YOUR fault if I do this, you know. And I still have my 55 to contend with...not to mention a recently purchased 90G hex that I'm trying to plan space for in my already miniscule dining area. Guess I'll be picnicking on the living room floor.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I could have 2 holes drilled in the bottom plate. 1/2" in diam. One for return and one for intake.
I've spent way too much time thing about that. I think you can do it. And it look awesome! But there are issues. I'll kind of spew them at random...
  1. 1/2" is small for bulkhead hardware, but you should be able to find it
  2. I can dig you up some good bulkhead links if you need them
  3. It will be a lot easier and cheaper to let the glass shop do the drilling, unles you already own a diamond glass bit
  4. Once you drill the holes, you've established two spots in your 'scape that aren't moving. So think about what you want it to look like, plan on the hole position, and be ready to live with your decision.
  5. If you evey get tired of the positon of the inlet/outlet, you can just cap them off and hang hoses over the side like everyone else.
  6. Be aware that once you install the bulkhead fittings, you will never set the tank down on its bottom unless you want to risk cracking it
  7. You'll not be able to test your newly built tank for being water tight until you have the bulkhead fittings on, attached to something, and the tank sitting upright on a surface that has holes drilled in the right places - like your stand.

But if you do it, you could have something that looked like those Amano water cubes, which look great!

post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Planted Member

Can I ask the reasoning behind using Starfire for just a 1 ft. cube? Coming from the reefkeeping end of the hobby, Starfire is usually just preferred for larger tanks because it doesn't produce a greenish tint to viewing...but on a tank like that, I don't see how Starfire would make any sort of visible difference in regards to viewing.

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode