Recommend me some nano plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Recommend me some nano plants?

Have a 4G Finnex that is going to be a Betta tank. I have a nice piece of Malaysian driftwood and Carib-Sea Eco-Complete substrate. I am using the Finnex 26watt 6700k lamp. I am not planning on CO2.

What I currently have coming my way in terms of plants...

Christmas Moss
Flame Moss
Java Fern
A couple giant marimo balls

My plan was to tie the mosses and the fern onto my driftwood. I decided to go with the Eco-Complete so I had the option to plant in the substrate. Anyone recommend some different plants? I'd like to have some sort of partial carpet for the substrate as well. Really open to all options. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
What light level are you shooting for?

PROSERPINACA PALUSTRIS
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...type&spec=Stem

ROTALA ROTUNDIFOLIA

ROTALA SP. 'GREEN'

ROTALA SP. 'NANJENSHAN'

DIDIPLIS DIANDRA

BACOPA CAROLINIANA

LOBELIA CARDINALIS 'SMALL FORM'

These are all stems that might work. some require ample light, others not so much. Most are 1-2" in diameter at most.

if you decide this route, and have plenty of light, then take a look here, on how to prune most of them to achieve a nice bush
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...-timeline.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/94%)
Small ones.

Further details can be found in the handy little button above labeled "Plant Profiles"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
crypt parva is a nice little undemanding plant. Most stems with a small diameter will look nice if kept trimmed. Most ground covers. Hmm kinda drawing a blank, but that should give you a start. I tend to go with lots of moss in small tanks. Oh, some anubias nana 'petite' would be great!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyYahoo View Post
Small ones.

Further details can be found in the handy little button above labeled "Plant Profiles"

Although handy, the list of 200+ seems a bit more appropriate for individual plant research after you have an idea of what you are doing or looking for. I can assure you, when giving advice as it pertains to corals or anything aquatic, recommending something as vague as "small ones" is not very helpful. Thank you for your contribution, however.

I have gone with..

Flame Moss
Dwarf Hairgrass Belem
Christmas Moss
Java Fern
Marimo
Rotala Rotundiflora
Anubias Nana

Thanks for the stem suggestions earlier in the thread.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sometimes i like hearing myself talk, laugh it off and take it for the joke it was. I could have told you to use the Search feature, like most would, but that may yield you 300+!!!! results that you would actually have to work through to learn from.

Now then, id drop the java fern as it will get very big and require constant pruning of either the big, dying, or invading leaves. Marimo balls are mostly novelty and gather alot of "dander" in a small take, constant vacuuming would be required to keep them looking pristine. Mixing mosses is fun and gives interesting texture, though if they are grown close together they will intermingle and you may not get the crisp look you may be looking for. Your other choices look ok but keep in mind good carpets on non co2 tanks take a long time especially when you are new to the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Although handy, the list of 200+ seems a bit more appropriate for individual plant research after you have an idea of what you are doing or looking for. I can assure you, when giving advice as it pertains to corals or anything aquatic, recommending something as vague as "small ones" is not very helpful. Thank you for your contribution, however.

I have gone with..

Flame Moss
Dwarf Hairgrass Belem
Christmas Moss
Java Fern
Marimo
Rotala Rotundiflora
Anubias Nana

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Now then, id drop the java fern as it will get very big and require constant pruning of either the big, dying, or invading leaves. Marimo balls are mostly novelty and gather alot of "dander" in a small take, constant vacuuming would be required to keep them looking pristine. Mixing mosses is fun and gives interesting texture, though if they are grown close together they will intermingle and you may not get the crisp look you may be looking for. Your other choices look ok but keep in mind good carpets on non co2 tanks take a long time especially when you are new to the hobby.
Java fern isn't the quickest growing plant, he has time before it would take over his tank. And I can't see him running into a huge amount of debris from having a tank with a betta. He never even indicated he was new too the hobby? He only made the comment he didn't intend on doing co2. A 4g isn't a huge footprint, he could probably plant most the carpet he wanted too and let the small openings fill in over time.

Too the OP it would be pretty cool since it's a smaller tank too use the Christmas moss for a moss wall, and cover the driftwood with flame moss and anubias nana (you should also check out petite too it's really cute and would look cool in a 4g). You could put the java fern close to the substrate (don't bury it though) and use the rotala on the opposite side.

Fraternity of dirt #8

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
Java fern isn't the quickest growing plant, he has time before it would take over his tank. And I can't see him running into a huge amount of debris from having a tank with a betta. He never even indicated he was new too the hobby? He only made the comment he didn't intend on doing co2. A 4g isn't a huge footprint, he could probably plant most the carpet he wanted too and let the small openings fill in over time.

Too the OP it would be pretty cool since it's a smaller tank too use the Christmas moss for a moss wall, and cover the driftwood with flame moss and anubias nana (you should also check out petite too it's really cute and would look cool in a 4g). You could put the java fern close to the substrate (don't bury it though) and use the rotala on the opposite side.
Bahugo,

Thanks. The plan was to use the Flame Moss on the driftwood and make a Christmas Moss wall for the back of the tank using some cross-stitch gridding I have. The Nana is also going to go onto the driftwood, and I will put the Rotala on the left side while the driftwood is on the right side of the tank.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post

The OP said they knew nothing of the hobby, read their second post on the thread. I disagree regarding all of your comments, Java fern will grow quickly under a 26w lamp. No matter the livestock, there will be debris, decayed plant material, food, diatoms. And getting that perfect ADA like dense carpet planting pattern is a skill that takes time, dexterity, patience, knowledge, and proper tools. Without that kind of planting Id wager to say it'll take 6-10mos to get a nice carpet going.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:17 AM
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)
Pardon me, but where in this thread did the OP say they knew nothing of the hobby..

Anyway, this isn't the place to argue.

TexasCichlid, I think your current plans sound fantastic, I'm sure it will look great. Can't wait to see some pictures!

I really like your plant choices, this is going to be a good looking tank!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post

I have gone with..

Flame Moss
Dwarf Hairgrass Belem
Christmas Moss
Java Fern
Marimo
Rotala Rotundiflora
Anubias Nana

Let that be the end of it. Im simply offering advice based on my past 8 years of experience in this hobby.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
- Crypts of various species
- Fissidens moss (best looking moss imo)
- Anubias: nana, petite
- Java Fern: windelov, philippine, trident (windelov and philippine variety has stayed less than 7 inches for me)
- HM/pearlweed
- Blyxa
- Marsilea minuta

You can use almost any stemplants, just prune them. I know you've stated that you're not planning for co2, but if you want to save money, check out DIY co2.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Let that be the end of it. Im simply offering advice based on my past 8 years of experience in this hobby.
:

Thanks for the help everyone else who has chimed in. I got most of my plants in this evening and glued my mosses to my driftwood after taking a dremel to the sharper edges. I am not worried about the Marimo catching debris, a quick squeeze and rinse with tank water solves that every once in a while. I also made my Christmas moss background this evening, and am planting the hair grass tomorrow. A 6 hour photoperiod should be adequate for the first couple of weeks, correct? I am not a huge fan of the fern. I'm thinking of planting it low of the back of the drift to obscure the plumbing, we will see. I will snap some pictures on Thursday.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Surrounded by Blyxa

I will be dosing Flourish Excel to try and keep the nasty stuff under control. Will I grow some algae and diatoms? I am sure I will. For those of you giving actual advice, I thank you. I look forward to sharing the progress of my tank -- good and bad.

Last edited by Wasserpest; 07-26-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Cleaning up

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode