Reliable heater for 5 gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Reliable heater for 5 gallon?

I have a 5 gallon moderately planted betta tank that needs a reliable heater! Right now the tank runs about 76 without the heater, and seems to be fairly stable (although I'm not home to see it during the warmest part of the day or awake to see it during the coolest part of the evening). I've now tried 2 different heaters rated for 5 gallon tanks, and both have run the tank way too hot (mid-upper 80's) and created greater fluctuations than what I've been able to "see" without the heater. I know the smaller tanks can be tricky, but surely there is a heater out there that can accomplish what I need it to do?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water temps fluctuate day/night in nature...especially in the shallow stagnant waters bettas are native to. Just run without a heater. 76 is perfectly fine. I ran my 1 gallon pico for years without a heater and the betta and plants in it thrived. I would see swings from 80-ish with lights on to high 60s at night.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had a Theo 25W on a pico FOWLR tank w/o problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks to both of you!

I'm not really concerned about it sitting at 76 right now. I'm in Texas where it hasn't dropped out of the hundreds for weeks though, and I keep my house a little on the warmer side anyway. I expect I am going to need something come winter when my house won't be running quite as warm. Blowing into the upper 80's and fluctuating all over the place isnt' going to work for them though!

Thanks again I'll check into the theo.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'll check the brand later I have on my 2.5gal betta tank. I went through a few of those "pre-set" at 78 heaters and they all went waaaaaay too high. I want to be able to set it, so I have a very small setable one. I like the ability to set it because then you can set it to where your thermometer reads what you want, despite, what the heater setting is. With filters, current, and the fact that your heater and thermometer aren't in same spot, to get 76 on the thermometer sometimes you have to set the heater to 74 or 79.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quite an added expense for nano, but you could also use a JBJ heater controller to modulate one of those micro heaters
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Go to walmart and get the tetra 2-15 gallon fully submersible heater, i use these for all my tanks including 2 5 gallons and they work great, i have never had an issue, they keep the temperature in my tanks at a constant 76 degrees and thats because my room is always rather chilly.

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I avoid glass heaters at all costs.. heard too many stories of them breaking. I have a Marineland adjustable on my 5g and an Aquatop on my 6.6. Both are for betta tanks.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. The marineland non-adjustable is the one I just unplugged because my tank was sitting at 86 degrees. Willing to give the adjustable one a chance though
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Theo or sera 25 watt
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
dont get that tetra one. i got that before and it broke. aqueon makes some quality heaters.

My ADA Mini-M
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Planted Member

I think in the long run you'll have better success controlling the room temperature than the water temperature in a small 5G aquarium. If it gets too warm in the room, get a decent fan and blow some air across the front / top of the tank.

When colder weather arrives, do you have the option of moving the tank into an interior room or at least farther away from an exterior wall/window (if it is located near one)?

The paperless office will become a reality only after implementation of the paperless bathroom.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 AM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Hydor Theo 25 or 50 watt. Happy with mine, temps are spot on. I am in Texas too the the tank is plenty warm in the day, but we keep it cool at night.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Algae Grower

All the Theos I have run really hot. I have a 25w Marina preset in a 5g saltwater tank and it never goes over 76-77. It's actually not hot enough in the winter, it struggles to get to 75 when the house temp is around 72.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I have had a lot of problems with heaters in the past. Sometimes you bump it while doing a water change and the temp goes way too high or sometimes they actually bleed an electric charge into the water. I had two that were bleeding into the water and so I would feel a slight tingle when first touching the top of the water until finally one of them went out bad enough that I stuck my hand in the tank and got a REALLY unpleasant surprise!
Ever since then I run 100% heater free and to be honest with you I don't believe they are necessary at all, outside of a marine tank. The average room temperature in a house is well within acceptable range unless you keep it mighty cold in the winter.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode