The 5gal puffer jungle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The 5gal puffer jungle

I've been putting this tank together for about two months. Most of the first was just planning. Nothing fancy 5gal tank, basic heater and filter. Lighting is 24watt daylight desk lamp. Pea gravel substrate. I have a liquid fert but im scared to see anymore growth! Lol
I wanted the tank to be as stimulating as possible due to it's small size. I put in a slate rock wall and a java moss wall on the other side as background. My puffers love to hunt in both. Its great for hiding snails and eggs.
The inhabitants are 1male and 1 female puffer, 1 algae eater, and a red ramshorn population that is decreasing rapidly.
The tank is still a work in progress plant wise.

Female

The pair. Royally named Speckle and Toad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Any trouble having 2 puffers in 5g tank? I am trying to decide what to put in my 2g Fluval Spec and I'd really love to have a puffer or two in there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." ó Socrates

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am pushing it with two puffers. I only just received mine Friday. As of now they are behaving. The female pushes the juvi male out of where she's hunting but that's about it. My tank is heavily planted with lots of hiding spaces so they can get out of each others sight. I also stressed the need for a male and female to the supplier. I wouldn't dare two males.
I am very finicky about my tanks. I over filter and do large weekly water changes. They are dirty fish.
For a two gallon tank I would stay far away from a pair. One... I really don't know.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
^what he said.
dwarf puffers generally need about 5 gallons per... but i'd say with a female and male it's worth a shot.. although not recommended

heavily planted tanks like brochi.rr is a perfect habitat

makes me miss my little guys
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don't hate me but the first time I ever set up a tank it was a 6g with 5 dwarf puffers. I never once saw one attack the other and they all for the most part would slowly lazily swim around each other, sometimes retreating back to their own area of the tank with fake plants and plastic rocks to hide before all grouping back up to swim around again.

Sort of surprised now that I think back to it hahaha
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
^haha yea, i've heard stories like that too. it's weird.. they are definitely more aggressive than not.

usually when they're juvies they're more tolerant of each other. once they mature... they get nasty.

as for the op's tank, i like the overgrown look. it's kinda... soothing... as weird as that is for me. haha
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarabash View Post
Don't hate me but the first time I ever set up a tank it was a 6g with 5 dwarf puffers. I never once saw one attack the other and they all for the most part would slowly lazily swim around each other, sometimes retreating back to their own area of the tank with fake plants and plastic rocks to hide before all grouping back up to swim around again.

Sort of surprised now that I think back to it hahaha
How long was that tank running? Sounds kind of like an African Cichlid tank. They're all very agressive, but with all the commotion and no clear areas they have difficulty establishing a real pecking order..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brochi.rr View Post
I am pushing it with two puffers. I only just received mine Friday. As of now they are behaving. The female pushes the juvi male out of where she's hunting but that's about it. My tank is heavily planted with lots of hiding spaces so they can get out of each others sight. I also stressed the need for a male and female to the supplier. I wouldn't dare two males.
I am very finicky about my tanks. I over filter and do large weekly water changes. They are dirty fish.
For a two gallon tank I would stay far away from a pair. One... I really don't know.
Where did you buy your puffers, and were you able to specify male/female?

Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerdude View Post
Where did you buy your puffers, and were you able to specify male/female?

Thanks
Due to my remote location I had to search online for a supplier. Aquariumfish.net was the only place that would take a special request. Fish price was more but shipping wise they were the cheapest in shipping and they had no min. order. Its all pricey though lol with shipping they came to $25 a fish.
If you have a good lfs I would highly recommend seeing if they can special order! Then maybe you can pick your own.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brochi.rr View Post
Due to my remote location I had to search online for a supplier. Aquariumfish.net was the only place that would take a special request. Fish price was more but shipping wise they were the cheapest in shipping and they had no min. order. Its all pricey though lol with shipping they came to $25 a fish.
If you have a good lfs I would highly recommend seeing if they can special order! Then maybe you can pick your own.

The bailey brother's will not let you down! I've been a fan of these guys for more than a decade now. I don't always agree with them but they always do what they think is right for the fish, not their business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode