New guy needs advice -- Finnex 4G - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
New guy needs advice -- Finnex 4G

Ello everyone. Thanks for the forum. I've been out of aquariums for years now and previously only kept large, unplanted rockscapes for Malawi Peacocks and Haps. Never kept live plants, and never touched a piece of driftwood.

I've since found myself on the opposite end of the spectrum. I ordered a Finnex 4G w/ filter and the bigger 36 RBG LED light from Ebay ( I know, not a planters choice but I'm going for aesthetics ) and am needing some advice from the experts. This is going to be a Betta tank, so I will be keeping the filter it came with -- pathetic flow rate and all. I'd love to use a Zoomed 501 but I think the flow will probably be too much in the Finnex unless someone can correct me.

Number one. Is it worth the effort, with this light, to plant anything at all? I'm thinking java and/or christmas moss, some java ferns, maybe some anubias nanas petite and a few very small marimo balls. I don't know if I have enough light for that even. Another problem is driftwood. We don't have a LFS, so, I have no idea where to buy driftwood or decorative rock appropriate for this tank. My old staple was holey texas limestone, but I could go to the landscape store down the street and get that. Probably not so great for my current setup. Also, with no LFS, all of my plants will have to be mail order. What is a good source? I'd love to find some very small pieces of pre-planted driftwood, but just have no idea where to look. Aquabid was no help.

Hope I have provided enough information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't think I'm going to be much help, but java fern, java moss, and the anubais are all low light plants. I'm not really familiar with using LED lights, though I would think you'd have enough lighting. Where I get my plants is sweetaquatics.com, they have a wide selection and they're pretty cheap. You can also order driftwood from there, with or without plants.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
link to lights?
if its as good as a Par30 7000K light then you can grow anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
link to lights?
if its as good as a Par30 7000K light then you can grow anything.
This is the light it is coming with.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Nature.../dp/B0049PJ5TE
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Best place to buy plants is here in the swap and shop. Get healthier plants from fellow hobbiests

You can call me Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Check the tank in my signature. Same tank, DIY eBay LED with a Zoo Med filter. It does not put out a lot of flow, initially it is great but after a week or two it slows down considerably.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I doubt that light will be enough. I had a smaller but similiar LED light and I quickly got rid of it. I would upgrade.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah, it seems like that is mostly a mood-light. The fact that it doesn't list any specs makes me think that the manufacturer certainly didn't intend for people to use it on a planted tank.

-John

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode