latnem's Shrimp Bowl Walstad Inspired - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
latnem's Shrimp Bowl Walstad Inspired

Whats Up Guys!

So I have been lurking some shrimp bowl and low-tech nano journals. I find the idea very interesting and figured it would be the perfect addition for my computer desk. I was recently given a very cool glass bowl/vase and figured why not give it a shot.

The Bowl: 10 inch tall glass vase. About 1.2G

The Light: Table Lamp from Home Depot $19. The bulb is a 13W 900 Lumens - I really have no clue if this is not enough or too much light.

The Flora: Spiral bamboo to extend out of the water, HC clippings and Java Fern.

The Plan: To create a unique mix between a shrimp bowl/nano/walstad. I wanted to create depth in the bowl with a foreground. I am experimenting with HC in this as my ground cover. I am hoping to get it well established using the dry start method. Hopefully the bamboo and java fern survive while I dry start the HC.

The Substrate: Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Soil mixed with a small amount of Miracle Grow Organic Choice Bone Meal. Capped with black sand. The very bottom layer has river rocks mixed in to provide stability for the bamboo.

Let me apologize in advance for my lack of photo skills.

Here we go:

The Materials:

So I removed as many pieces of wood from the soil as I could and mixed it with the rocks to create the first layer. I managed to plant both the bamboo and the java fern into this layer(having big hands sucks sometimes) and then capped it off with about an inch of black sand.

With that done I began my HC endeavor. Took a small amount from my main tank, got some tweezers and went to work.

So the planting is all done and hopefully this all works! Like stated above I want to dry start this bowl mainly to try and get the HC strong. I filled the bowl with water slightly by using an air tube as a siphon, unfortunately I filled it a little too high and the HC is submerged. I think I'll wait for our buddy evaporation to come do his job.

Thanks for looking guys! Thoughts or Criticism always welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by latnem; 07-11-2011 at 04:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like fun!

Can't wait to see it grown out. Do you think those larger rocks in the bottom really helped to stabilize things?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Algae Grower

Newman! Get your ass down here and comment on this guy's bowl!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbLbogie View Post
Looks like fun!

Can't wait to see it grown out. Do you think those larger rocks in the bottom really helped to stabilize things?
I ended up using less rocks than pictured above but yes the bamboo was impossible to keep straight up in the soil it was top heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al28894 View Post
Newman! Get your ass down here and comment on this guy's bowl!
Haha

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

To followup on a little progress the dry start of HC not doing so good most has melted. Not sure if it is the light being too low or the humidity being too high. Java fern looks like it has seen better days also. If I can't get the HC to stabalize I'll have to look for another ground cover, maybe just some moss.

I have some Cherries on order and cant wait to toss a few in here once its filled.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
hello, very nice vase project you have going here =)
This reminds me of the vase i tried starting up a year ago - it was the same shape but was 2.5 gals and much taller. it didnt work out for personal reasons, but the idea surely should work. keep trying with the HC, it will eventually take root and grow.

looking forward to how this will look in a few months!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've found a cynidrical 8"x18" vase at at Crafters Wharehouse for $10. It might be too tall for static diffusion if filled to the top so I'll have to find some way to circulate it from top to bottom. Mini riparium might work.

I'm really liking all these shrimp bowl projects.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
I've found a cynidrical 8"x18" vase at at Crafters Wharehouse for $10.

I have one of these. I've had a betta and ADF in there for 2 years now with a simple gravel substrate and some lucky bamboo and java moss... I plan on NPTing it soon.

Latnem, this is looks great! My only concern is the Dracaena sanderiana ("lucky bamboo"). While the stem can be emmersed the leaves cannot be submerged and it looks like you have a rather short one in there.

What's the water volume going to be without submerging that short stalk... Because the stalks don't grow taller (they are commercially treated to do this).

I would suggest getting really tall one and cutting them size... I purchased 18"+ stalks from Lowes. The wont be fancy curling ones but they're still beautiful plants and the leaves will grow tall and bushey.

Last edited by firefiend; 07-18-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: clarified emmersed and submerged sections. :)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hrrmmm thanks for the info. Wasn't sure if it could be submerged. I'll remove the shortest stalk once I fill it up. The others are tall enough to be above the water level which was my plan.

If you guys are looking for interesting glass pieces check out Michael's (arts and craft store) if you have one close. Mine has an entire huge isle of nothing but glass pieces.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
that is not bamboo. its a dracena and it will slowly melt away in your bowl. i would suggest replacing it with an actual aquatic.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan10517 View Post
that is not bamboo. its a dracena and it will slowly melt away in your bowl. i would suggest replacing it with an actual aquatic.
The common name for dracaena sanderiana is "lucky bamboo."

As long as the waterline is lower than the leaf node it will be fine. I've had some emmersed in this manner for several years, the stalk is maybe 4 inches tall, and leaf node is close to 12 inches tall. Emmersion of the stalk is perfectly fine.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Algae Grower

well good luck with it then! i've never had any luck with it even with only the roots in water.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks totally awesome. And very similar to a planted vase that I just recently put together. I'm digging it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

I thought HC was a pretty high-light plant, no? The light you have might be a little weak, but then again I've never grown HC. I've also read a lot of people who didn't get the thick carpeting effect when starting it emersed. Keep me posted, I'd like to give the dry-start HC a shot.

-John

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 05:07 AM
Algae Grower

It looks great.. now I'm curious-how did it come out? BTW, you are right about the glassware in Michaels. I want to do cherry shrimp but haven't seen any locally...

29g heavily planted SA: driftwood, rocks, Angels, Corys, Rasboras.
8g Nuvo: Pineapple SuperDumbo, driftwood, java moss and crypts. A jungle.
10g 3x divided Betta planted with Blue Mustard Gas, Red Double Tail HM, Blue/Red Fire Dragon and snails.

Dana

Facebook LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode