Changing shrimp bowl's water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Changing shrimp bowl's water?

So after seeing the planted shrimp bowls on here, I decided I had to try my hand at one. I'll put up some pics once I get home, but so far its got some hair grass, anubias nana, a couple experimental stalks of anacharis, and some plant called teleflora or teliflora. Not able to find any info on that plant, so we'll have to see how it goes. I've also got a nice chunk of DW in there, and an interesting rock. Substrate is Miracle Grow Organic Potting capped with play sand. My question, hopefully to be answered by the guys with their own bowls, is how do you change the water without uprooting the plants? I did a change last night, and knocked about 1/3 of the plants out, so I had to replant them which was no fun. I thought I was being careful, and when I added water back in I made sure to pour it onto the DW to disperse it a little bit. Any tips would indeed be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/92%)
Put a sponge over the bowl and pour onto that
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Nice, that sounds like it'll work out perfect. Thanks.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Take a piece of tubing and siphon into a bucket. Thats the way I do partial WC's on my 40gal, 55gal, 20gal and 2.5gal because I'm too cheap to spend like $70 on a 50' python. lol.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Take a piece of tubing and siphon into a bucket. Thats the way I do partial WC's on my 40gal, 55gal, 20gal and 2.5gal because I'm too cheap to spend like $70 on a 50' python. lol.
this is how i change water on my bowl too. i use airline tubing. when filling it back up, i aimed the tubing at the DW or on the side glass of the bowl.

A sponge put in the bowl and gently pouring the water onto the sponge works great too!

On the topic of water changes, I recommend that you do large (80% or more. cherry shrimp should be fine with it) weekly water changes on your bowl. (namely after you are confident that the bowl is cycled)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
this is how i change water on my bowl too. i use airline tubing. when filling it back up, i aimed the tubing at the DW or on the side glass of the bowl.

A sponge put in the bowl and gently pouring the water onto the sponge works great too!

On the topic of water changes, I recommend that you do large (80% or more) weekly water changes on your bowl. (namely after you are confident that the bowl is cycled)
I use airline tubing for the 2.5gal betta tank and normal canister filter sized tubing for the rest of my tanks. With the 2.5gal tank the big tubing can drain it in about 2mins, its too fast.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

yes, airline is really useful for small tanks, and for getting protein film off the water surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Airline is kinda what I was thinking for the bowl. I've got a REALLY long gravel vacuum/tube that I use for my 45g, and I've also got a couple smaller gravel vacs I've aqcuired with used tank purchases, and I used one of those without the large plastic tube to drain the bowl. I've read some things about anubias being somewhat iffy with shrimp if you cut the rhizome. Is that true?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

probably true as with crypts, so in smaller volumes of water it may not be the best idea. but water changes can help dilute any toxins so a healthy WC regimen should keep the bowl healthy no matter if there is an anubias in there. I am assuming you will be using cherry shrimp in this bowl?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post

...Why would anyone want to use a 50' python to do a water change for a fish bowl anyways?

Last edited by ElectricBlue; 07-09-2011 at 12:39 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBlue View Post
...Why would anyone want to use a 50" python to do a water change for a fish bowl anyways?
Didn't say they should, I was saying that I use a piece of tube and water jugs to do PWC's on all of my tanks from the 2.5gal to 55gal.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Honestly, you could easily just use something like a turkey baster for something that small lol
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright, so I decided to forego the sponge trick, which is a good one, in favor of using air tubing. The smaller diameter really helps the water drain slowly enough that I have time to suck out all of the tiny bits of floating muck. After about 3 water changes, this bowl is looking SHARP. Crystal clear. I also decided to just fill it up using water siphoned straight from my main tank. Benefits are if there is anything in that water as far as ammonia and byproducts (there shouldn't be) it will just help the bowl to cycle. The nitrates will help the plants get established and I know the water is good. Plus it's super easy to use the same air tube to siphon straight from the tank into the bowl. Pics will follow.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
I am assuming you will be using cherry shrimp in this bowl?
I am going to first put in a couple ghost shrimp just to see how they do, and then after a week or so I will replace them with RCS. I have been doing some light reading on different types of shrimp and whatnot, so maybe down the road I'll get something different. Probably won't be Crystal Reds though, as I've already copied you enough!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tags
fish bowl, nano bowl, planted bowl, shrimp bowl, water change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode