Having a lighting crisis... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Having a lighting crisis...

Ok, now i have a de-rimmed 13.5g (35ltr) tank, i know its not a nano... but figured the nano boys will know about compact lights.
i need to buy a compact light unit but cant find anything that is of a reasonable price, my 55g sucked me dry!!
The tank dimensions are L52cm x H37cm x D28cm (21"L x 15"H x 11"D) i plan on planting HC, dwarf hairgrass and fissidens moss on bog wood as a "tree" so very close to the surface.
Problem is the only lights i can find are either 7w/9w arcadia (too low?) or super expensive.
I will be dosing EI and DIY co2.

Can anyone suggest a compact unit that will work for my requirements.... i really have been searching endlessly....

thankyou all

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

900x750x450 optiwhite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Believe the homedepot/lowes work lights with the bowl shaped aluminum reflector work very well for compact fluorescents. Hoppy has a thread about them in the lighting subforum..

With the tank being 21" long though why not use a t8 or t5no shoplight fixture?

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

eser21

Have you looked at hydroponics lighting the single reflector fittings are around the size of what you need then you can diy a hood round that if need be. i would recommend the Dutch barn reflectors with a cfl light.

http://www.1st-hydroponics.co.uk/ref...s/cat_309.html

check ebay for them cheaper around £20 shipped

Robert

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
A 2 or 3 socket bathroom vanity light ($3) and some wood and you could make a great CFL hood for really cheap (I have one in my signature if interested). If you want something prebuilt I would listen to robbowal and go check out hydroponic T5 fixtures.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i really dont have time for a diy project, i really want a prefab unit that will free stand or clip on to the tank.
i find it hard to believe that no one makes a compact light unit with more than 11watts?
maybe they do but do a great job of hidding it from the market
if i cant find one in the next few days then my aquascape will become a quarantine tank.

Just Plantin' and prayin'

55g Bow front

900x750x450 optiwhite

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eser21 View Post
i really dont have time for a diy project, i really want a prefab unit that will free stand or clip on to the tank.
i find it hard to believe that no one makes a compact light unit with more than 11watts?
maybe they do but do a great job of hidding it from the market
if i cant find one in the next few days then my aquascape will become a quarantine tank.

Any clip on desk lamp that runs the typical incandescent bulb is compatible with CFLs. You could go your local lighting store, home supply store, sears, walmart... and pick out a desk lamp with a clip. There are tons and tons of variations so you should be able to find something stylish and affordable.

Fluval sells 11w CFLs with their 7 gal mini tanks so a single 23w bulb would probably work for you.

Here's a sexy brushed aluminum one for $13. http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...atalogId=10053

Here is a more compact one for $34 (27w) http://www.amazon.com/Trademark-Coll..._bxgy_hi_img_c

Keep in mind CFLs are directly comparable to T5HO

Last edited by ReluctantHippy; 07-06-2011 at 12:02 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

Hey there!,

I see ur from the UK, If ur still living there try this place http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/cat...-lamp-unit.asp

compact 24W, T5 unit for only 20 Pounds

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode