New to Nanos new advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Elder fisher

PTrader: (1/100%)
New to Nanos new advice

Hi all just joined due to this section.

I have a long history with FWT and raising TF. Nothing smaller than 10 gals and that was so long ago I do not want to think that far back. It has been 10 years since I have even owned a tank. So I am looking to get back in from scratch.

Anyway I am interested in doing a nano tank. Problem is I am out in the boonies and I have no knowledge of these tanks. So question here is what ones should I be looking for around 3 to 6 gal. Where are good online places to aquire one?

I was on Amazon and saw the Petco slim which would work in one area. Slim is not it's name but it is the one that fits on top of a bookcase. Does anyone have one and if so what is good and bad about it? I am not set on anything just looking right now so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Tamara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I talked myself out of getting one for Father's Day and got a Fluval Ebi (7.9G) instead. IMO, the footprint is long for a stand or table. Most bookshelves would probably need extra support, except for the bottom shelf, which wouldn't be convenient for viewing or anything else.

I am getting a new office in August and it is still a possibility... if I can find a place for the footprint. I like the look of it and the length vs depth and height. The light hood sucks, though.

If you really want a 3-6G tank, the "Finnex pico aquarium deluxe" at Amazon is an awesome 4G kit at a great price. You're basically buying the light and canister filter and getting the tank free, IMO. It was my second choice, but a shrimper here at TPT talked me out of it, because it is only a 4G.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard... this is a great place to talk aquariums and all they entail.

"If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much..."
Kipling

Fluval Ebi Pimp #29

Last edited by Buff Daddy; 06-25-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Welcome
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Elder fisher

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks Buff Daddy that was my concern also. Years ago I had a 20 gal on top of a bookcase. It worked well for years BUT it was on a pour hard floor. This one is on carpet so I am not so sure it would be safe. Luckily I have options to move things and buy proper stands too.

I saw that Finnex on another site set up. Been thinking about it for right next to computer. Again would need a table to fit it. Might go to Best Buy see what they have in table that would be just right.

That Fluval is nice. As I said I am not set on anything. Might go bigger than 6 just learning about these smaller tanks. Need to make rounds of the so called local fish stores. Luckily they are only a county away and family owned. We do have one petsmart two counties away that I have to go to this weekend for rodent feed. Will see what they carry in the smaller tanks. But when I worked for them years ago what they had then I would not buy in small tanks as they would not work right. But again that was over 10 years ago and things have changed.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2011, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Cybercat, just remember that while small tanks are easier for wc's and routine maintenance stuff, when water quality and other things go bad, they go bad in a hurry.

My yellow shrimp are in a 2.5G currently and the tank is stable but my population is starting to grow. They will be moving to my Ebi when it cycles and stabilizes. I'm not going any smaller than a 4G in the future, but I'll keep the 2.5 as a breeder/moss farm.

IMO, 10G tanks are the most bang for the buck ($12 or so), can use power compact lights and cheap 20G filters. They'll also fit on an end table and are easier to aquascape.

"If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much..."
Kipling

Fluval Ebi Pimp #29

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode