ADA Mini S System - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Mini S System

Hey guys, I was looking into upgrading my nano planted tank. I currently have a basic setup...2.5 gallon with a tetra submergible heater, a red sea nano filter and florescent hood. I have a celestial pearl danio, a couple of mosquito rasboras and 4 shrimp. I've attached an image below. This little tank has been running at my office for about 7 months and I love it. Although, I want to start messing around with CO2 and get a little deeper into this hobby. So I hit the "internets" hard and I couldn't help but notice some of the AMAZING tanks out there and on this forum. One set up in particular that caught my eye was the "ADA Mini S System PREMIUM". I just love how clean it is and how everything fits together. Unfortunately the price tag kinda stopped me dead in my tracks. So, my questions to you all...I'm on the fence about taking the plunge, is that setup worth the $700 it's asking? Would you guys recommend a different setup over this one instead? Thanks in advanced for your time and feedback.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	32025  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)
depends on how nice you want your setup ada is nice but you can do the same for less than ada setup...BUT... If you dont want to have any regrets later I would go with ada. Do it once and do it right is what i say. The second choice would be a mr aqua setup.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
you can get the ADA Mini-S tank alone for not too much cash. If you are willing to go low tech you can get the archea LED clamp on fixture from AFA for approx $40. Regarding CO2, you can a GLA regulator, atomic diffuser from msnikki and pipes from CalAqua. CalAqua's workmanship has improved a whole lot compared to 3 yrs ago. IMO its now on par with ADA (i have a set of lily pipes from both on hand to compare).

i must say though its ADA that got me started on this madness!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If I were you, I would just get the ADA tank and substrate, the rest would be cheaper alternatives although not as pretty as ADA but are cheaper and works the same, if not better, than ADA. The downside to the ADA co2 system is that you have to buy their replacement cartridges which will cost alot in the long run.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
As someone who has spent thousands on ADA (and other high end brands) products and am still currently waiting for a 120P to ship over a month after I put a deposit down, it's no longer worth it to me.

There are a couple other manufacturers like Mr. Aqua, or as is my preference, custom built options.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
If I were you, I would just get the ADA tank and substrate, the rest would be cheaper alternatives although not as pretty as ADA but are cheaper and works the same, if not better, than ADA. The downside to the ADA co2 system is that you have to buy their replacement cartridges which will cost alot in the long run.
Ditto. I was using the ADA system also but set it aside in favor of a 2.5 lb CO2 tank which lasts a lot longer than the cartridges.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys for your input, this is all really helpful. I'm really happy to read the comments about the CO2, b/c that system is good chunk of the cost. The lighting was the other. Perhaps this should be another thread, but I'll ask anyway. Do you guys have a preference on a lighting setup that I would use instead of the one that would come with the ADA package...LED maybe?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

A led fixture that is appropriate to grow lights can be as expensive as ADA light fixtures. Because of this, alot of people just do it themselves. Here are some thread builds:
- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-part-2-a.html
- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...m-its-not.html

Since you're aiming for the ADA mini s, which is almost the same size as a 2.5gal tank, I use 13 watts over my 2.5gal tanks. A regular desk lamp combined with the right bulb should work for you such as these:
These lights can be found in alot of places like walmart, target, thrift stores, staples, etc. They can range from 5 to 30 dollars.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
A led fixture that is appropriate to grow lights can be as expensive as ADA light fixtures. Because of this, alot of people just do it themselves. Here are some thread builds:
- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-part-2-a.html
- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...m-its-not.html

Since you're aiming for the ADA mini s, which is almost the same size as a 2.5gal tank, I use 13 watts over my 2.5gal tanks. A regular desk lamp combined with the right bulb should work for you such as these:
These lights can be found in alot of places like walmart, target, thrift stores, staples, etc. They can range from 5 to 30 dollars.
Thanks PinoyBoy, this is awesome! I think I'll take a stab at DIY LED b/c...well why not?! I def appreciate all the feedback, thank again!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

Also check out Marine Depot's LED section, there are a cutple of intrigiung clamp on types under $80.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Catalina sells some pretty nice nano lights that would be sufficient for a Mini S. You can make your own light bar and attach the light to it with some wires for a nice clean look. Here is the link to the light:
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1230

Eheim Pimp #430

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Planted Member

I say get the Mini S and Solar mini S
Cal aqua mini pipes, Archaea diffuser, Aqua soil.

This way you do not spend so much on the other stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

My taiwans..

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
when i read "$700" bucks for the package, i thought that was some outrageous price!!!

saw the tank prices for $55 and saw that it's pretty reasonable. i think everything else you can pretty much compensate alternative means.

but i almost wish i didn't find out that the ADA tanks themselves are not as much i felt like others made it to be. sure per gallon it's a lot more but.. for clarity and quality, i'll pay $55 for the mini L.

... must. hide. wallet. :X
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
^ i retract my previous statement. I noticed i was looking at Do!Aqua tanks... -_-

Tags
ada mini s system, nano, nano planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode