Probing the waters of a nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Probing the waters of a nano tank

Hey all,

I have been looking into starting up a planted nano tank as my venture into converting my 50 gallon into a planted aquarium has proved to be quite costly and rather frustrating.

In your experience, what is the best way to get started here? Looking around petsmart and my lfs, there are plenty of kits available, but are they any good?

Do any of the kits include a good filter or lighting for keeping a planted tank?

I figured that if I'm going to be upgrading all the parts anyways I might just get the petsmart $12 5-gallon tank and freestyle it from there, although I do like the aesthetics of some of the kit tanks.

Thoughts? Is there a cheap-ish LED lighting solution for planted nanos?

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Depends on what you want to grow I guess. Out of aesthetics for an all-in one, I'd go with and EcoPico or one of the new small Eheim tanks. I've seen some fairly nice planted setups in either without equipment mods.

Cheers,
Alice

"It's so cute! Can we take it home?"
"...you have collectoritis."
"I do not! Besides, it's better than having cat-collectoritis"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Two words, Fluval Flora. It is a very nice 7.8 gal. kit. It comes with just about everything you would want. I however upgraded the lighting and co2 system because I wanted to grow a few plants that would not grow well with the stock lighting. But the stock kit is very good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fluval EBI and Fluval Flora both rock. The only downside to the Fluval Flora is that you can't reuse the CO2 cartridges so in the long run it costs more than if you bought a regulator and a larger refillable CO2 tank. Even so, the Fluval CO2 system is better than DIY. I have two nano tanks set up right now a Fluval EBI and a pieced together 10g. The EBI was $85 as a package and came with a few useless things (their version of a GH booster, their version of a dechlorinator, the rock background, and an ugly thermometer)
the 10g was $8 for the tank. $18 for substrate. $25 for the light. and $45 for the canister filter. Which totals $96. I got a better light, my choice of substrate and a better filter.

If you look at technical details the 10g is a better tank, but the EBI is well crafted and looks much better since everything was designed to go together.

If I had it to do over, I'd start with an ADA 30-C nano and freestyle from there. You can also get one one of the Fluval kits and upgrade as you go.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
well, tell me this then: is it possible to slap a better lamp in the included fluval fixtures, or do you have to get an entirely new lighting solution?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
My setup

10g tank
eheim 2213
small piece of glass from glass shop
2x clamp lights with spiral cfl - 18w each - 6800k
small tetra non adjustable heater

Growing pretty much whatever the heck I want

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
well, tell me this then: is it possible to slap a better lamp in the included fluval fixtures, or do you have to get an entirely new lighting solution?
The fluval lamp is just a clip on 13watt CFL there is no actual fixture to it. You can just buy another of the many clip on lights.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
i would suggest an ADA mini-m------ HAHAHAHAHHA JK i mean, id suggest it, would be cool. but expensive. lol.

if you have the money for a canister, i'd suggest an eheim 22133 for something around the size of a 10 gallon. i have 2 13 watt cfls. thats my low budget solution to lighting.

i would definitely piece it together. if your feeling adventorous, you could de rim a 10 gallon. that looks nice. and then make a diy light stand and/or a diy with to hang from the light stand. im making on right now, im using aluminum conduit for it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode