This is the future home of my OEBTs.

Specs:

tank: ADA 60f
lighting: Archaea 27w x2 bulbs
filter: aquaclear 20
fauna: OEBT
flora: mini pelia, mini bolbitis, anubias nana petite, mini xmass moss
no co2
***I used wire mesh to more securely separate the elevated fluval shrimp substrate from the sand.

The nana petite is in the tank now in pots but not pictured. Eventually, I will consider either more of a groundcover, or else I will be tying down more moss to rocks. Maybe both.

I have also planted lots of mini pelia in the crevices of the rocks, and I will eventually do the same to the low, long rock on the right. Excited to watch this one grow in.... sloooooooowly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Looks good, I like these large footprint shallow tanks. What plants were you thinking for the groundcover?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
as Borat would say...very niiiiiiiiceeee!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
Looks good, I like these large footprint shallow tanks. What plants were you thinking for the groundcover?
This is what I'm wrestling with the most. If I stay low-tech then my options are pretty limited. My other 60f uses staurogyne and crypt parva so I kind of want to stay away from those. I could go glosso, but glosso isn't quite the same kind of runner minus CO2. Maybe I will try it anyway.

The other options is just continue to tie moss on rocks and spread it out over the rest of the substrate.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Me Likey!
Nice start on that tank. Reminds me of cliffside beaches.

Another 2.5g story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvmd View Post
Me Likey!
Nice start on that tank. Reminds me of cliffside beaches.
This is kind of the look I was going for. Keeping everything mini to keep the perspective, and my fish, if I keep any, will be tiny. Also, I have to change that background as it's distracting.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Nice Nice and very Nice. I love the dimensions of the 60f. That sand looks great.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Love this tank. Great dimensions and I love the beach look of it. If I may make a suggestion on the ground cover, what about Dwarf Hairgrass? It would look like beach grass in this tank, and I think it would go nicely. Keep it up and I will be following along to see where this goes.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think glosso would work if you moved the lights a little closer to the side you had the plants growing on. I had it going on my 20l with no co2 and CFLs.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Nicely done! Looking forward to seeing this one develop. I love these 60f's

-

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
sweet
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by youjettisonme View Post
This is kind of the look I was going for. Keeping everything mini to keep the perspective, and my fish, if I keep any, will be tiny. Also, I have to change that background as it's distracting.
Maybe try something like different hues of blue (kinda like fading blue effect) as backgroud. That'll complete the look.

Another 2.5g story

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Love this tank. Great dimensions and I love the beach look of it. If I may make a suggestion on the ground cover, what about Dwarf Hairgrass? It would look like beach grass in this tank, and I think it would go nicely. Keep it up and I will be following along to see where this goes.
I have never grown dward hairgrass before. How does it do in non-co2 environments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentK View Post
I think glosso would work if you moved the lights a little closer to the side you had the plants growing on. I had it going on my 20l with no co2 and CFLs.
My GF has glosso growing in her non-co2, low light tank. It does alright. Doesn't send a lot of runners, but then again, that's probably going to be true with any ground cover plant in that kind of tank I would guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvmd View Post
Maybe try something like different hues of blue (kinda like fading blue effect) as backgroud. That'll complete the look.
I have been experimenting with different backgrounds that I have been taping up. I went to a nice arts/crafts store and bought lots of different colors and will likely switch them out on a whim. Most of them won't ever find their way to an aquascaping contest, but they're still fun!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not sure on the long term honestly. I had it for a while but then I re-scaped my tank and took it out. It was doing all right, but not really having a growth explosion. I would imagine with some good soil it may do ok.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
That's really really neat. Where did you get the rocks? I love the mini pelia and moss. So cool!

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode