Newb startup nano- feedback requested - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newb startup nano- feedback requested

I have quite a bit of experience with reefs, but it's been a while for that. I kept FW fish as a kid, but it's been even longer.

Requesting help three ways:

1) Please let me know of any terrible flaws in my plans.

2) Please recommend stocking plan for plants. I really have idea what to start with. The LFS has quite a selection, so I should be able to find most things. Nutrient recommendations here would help too.

3) Please recommend a stocking list for fish/shrimp. I was thinking of a couple of shrimp and some schooling nano sized fish.

Anyway, here is what I have going equipment wise:

Finnex 4 gallon rimless tank with 26 W blue/white CF bulb
Aquaclear 20 HOB (with bio, carbon and sponge media)
Hydor 7.5 W heater (will place in HOB filter, not sure I need in summer)
Digital remote thermometer

2-3 inch Flourite base
1-2 inch aquarium sand layer
small driftwood and small texas holey rock pieces

Half RO/DI and half tap water (fairly hard water)
SeaChem Prime added to water

DIY yeast/sugar CO2 setup inserted into HOB intake

Ammonia and multi (nitrate, nitrite, co2, etc) test sticks

My plan of action:

I plan to first rinse the substrates and rock and driftwood well and then place it in the tank. I will then fill it and let sit for a week or so.

Then I will go get some plants and get them going and let that sit for another two weeks. I'll start the CO2 at this stage.

Then I will introduce the first batch of either fish or shrimp and monitor for a few weeks of a month.

Then I will add the second batch of shrimp or fish, monitor and maintain- changing a gallon of water every week.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to kjplanted Send a message via Yahoo to kjplanted
sounds good to me
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemix View Post

2-3 inch Flourite base

IMO id consider doing around 3 inches total for your substrate. i normally follow the pound per gallon rule for substrate, 2 pounds for a heavily planted tank.

Boil your driftwood to remove tannins, and for it to sink easier. Avoid Grapevine wood because it takes forever to sink.

Quote:
My plan of action:

I plan to first rinse the substrates and rock and driftwood well and then place it in the tank. I will then fill it and let sit for a week or so.

Then I will go get some plants and get them going and let that sit for another two weeks. I'll start the CO2 at this stage.

Then I will introduce the first batch of either fish or shrimp and monitor for a few weeks of a month.

Then I will add the second batch of shrimp or fish, monitor and maintain- changing a gallon of water every week.

Thoughts?
Depending on the substrate, some of them dont need a thorough rinse. For example ADA's ammonia line needs to seep on out naturally. you can strain it lightly, but id rather not do it two or three times over. again, depends on substrate.

Id allow the tanks to hit an algae bloom, diatoms and all, prior to adding the livestock and all. Its a matter of preference, but you can acheive this as well with livestock already.

Best of luck, and as always, take advice with a grain of salt.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
From what I've read the blue light spectrum is not the best for plants, you should go with a full spectrum or pink spectrum bulb.

And as far as filtration is concerned. I would suggest going with one of the nano canister filters. They will be $15-20 more expensive than your HOB but it will be worth it for many reasons. HOB filters aren't very attractive, plus if there is even a minor power outage they will stop and not start back up until you add water to it. I've had it happen to two of my tanks the lack of surface agitation caused a CO2 buildup and killed almost all my shrimp. On the other tank I ended up getting green water.
There are many different canisters you can get that will work.

Also with putting the CO2 into your HOB filter you'll have a lot of off-gassing when it splashes on the water surface.

With the lace rock you plan on adding it will add dissolved minerals, at least that was my experience with it. Which is great for a shrimp tank.

And with the size of your tank, you should pretty much just go full RO water since even with 50% water changes that is only 2gallons.

With your light you'll be able to grow just about any plant, it is actually a bit too bright and figuring out the right photo period will be very difficult. You may want to suspend it a few inches over your tank. And with any tank with high light you'll need fertilizer.

As far as fertilizers go I started with Seachem Flourish which contains all your micro nutrients. Then Flourish Phosphorus. Then I bought API Green Leaf which contains your Iron and Potassium. Which for the most part can be picked up at your LFS. As long as you stick with a single 4g this should last a full year maybe longer. However you'll find that this is addictive and you'll get more tanks. Once that happens you should buy dry fertilizers and dosing bottles to make your own versions of those name brand ferts.

Quote:
I have quite a bit of experience with reefs, but it's been a while for that. I kept FW fish as a kid, but it's been even longer.

Requesting help three ways:

1) Please let me know of any terrible flaws in my plans.

2) Please recommend stocking plan for plants. I really have idea what to start with. The LFS has quite a selection, so I should be able to find most things. Nutrient recommendations here would help too.

3) Please recommend a stocking list for fish/shrimp. I was thinking of a couple of shrimp and some schooling nano sized fish.

2-3 inch Flourite base

My plan of action:

Thoughts?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomari View Post
Just to clarify, 2-3 inches and topping it with another inch or two of substrate?

IMO id consider doing around 3 inches total for your substrate. i normally follow the pound per gallon rule for substrate, 2 pounds for a heavily planted tank.
Thanks. I'll consider adding a bit less of each.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannik View Post
From what I've read the blue light spectrum is not the best for plants, you should go with a full spectrum or pink spectrum bulb..
Thanks for the feedback!

From my reading there seems to be some debate about this. I am tempted to stick with the included bulb for now and switch as needed.

Quote:
And as far as filtration is concerned. I would suggest going with one of the nano canister filters. They will be $15-20 more expensive than your HOB but it will be worth it for many reasons. HOB filters aren't very attractive, plus if there is even a minor power outage they will stop and not start back up until you add water to it. I've had it happen to two of my tanks the lack of surface agitation caused a CO2 buildup and killed almost all my shrimp. On the other tank I ended up getting green water.
There are many different canisters you can get that will work.
Thanks for the feeback!

I purposfully did not get the canister filter becuase I read it would be way too much flow and just unecessary. I have used them in the past for saltwater and will swap one of my smaller ones in if surface agitation is not up to par with the HOB.

Quote:
Also with putting the CO2 into your HOB filter you'll have a lot of off-gassing when it splashes on the water surface.
Any ideas where to put it instead? Thanks

Quote:
With the lace rock you plan on adding it will add dissolved minerals, at least that was my experience with it. Which is great for a shrimp tank.
Thanks, I will defintely pick the lace over texas holey unless I hear different.

Quote:
And with the size of your tank, you should pretty much just go full RO water since even with 50% water changes that is only 2gallons.
That is defintely doable, but I want to avoid taking minerals out and then adding them right back in if its not necessary. I may toy around with my options here. Do you test/measure particular nutrients in the water or just rely on plant health as an indicator that something is wrong?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Can anyone recommend two species of plants that my shrimp would like?

I don't want to get too crazy with my first planted tank and also want some time to settle in and get used to co2 administration and my lighting system. But, I guess the plants should grow fast enough to help with algae control

Thanks
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Planted Member

Too be honest you can't really have too much flow, you just adjust your input or angle your pipes more towards the surface. There will always be calmer water your livestock can hide out in when they get tired. For your CO2 you'll need a diffuser. I've never used DIY so you'll want to pop in that forum to find which diffuser will work best. Then you will place it in the bottom corner of your tank to allow for the bubbles to travel the most distance to the surface so they have more time to disolve.

Using RO removes the harmful elements like arsenic, lead and other heavy metals and gives you control over your hardness so you can keep fish that require softer acidic water like tetras.
What I do for my nanos is buy two of those 3 gallon jugs with a pour spout, fill it with RO then add my micro ferts to one jug and use it for top offs. Then I use GH booster in the other jug to get the hardness where I like for when I do the water change at the end of the week.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!

From my reading there seems to be some debate about this. I am tempted to stick with the included bulb for now and switch as needed.

Thanks for the feeback!

I purposfully did not get the canister filter becuase I read it would be way too much flow and just unecessary. I have used them in the past for saltwater and will swap one of my smaller ones in if surface agitation is not up to par with the HOB.

Any ideas where to put it instead? Thanks

Thanks, I will defintely pick the lace over texas holey unless I hear different.

That is defintely doable, but I want to avoid taking minerals out and then adding them right back in if its not necessary. I may toy around with my options here. Do you test/measure particular nutrients in the water or just rely on plant health as an indicator that something is wrong?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Planted Member

As far as plants, shrimp love moss. My shrimp are absolutely in love with Subwassertang. They also enjoy my Amazon swords. I have lots of different plants and moss, but this is where the largest numbers congregate
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 02:52 AM
Zac
Algae Grower

My 4 gallon w/ the blue white bulb is just fine. I like it better than 6500k bulbs ...too yellow: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...-4-gallon.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A quick update and a few questions:

Decided on a 2 inch Flourite base without sand.

Just put 2 bunches of Amazon Swords and a chunk of Java Moss in last night. I didnt break up the Swords, nor the Moss- so they are still in their
original sizes. Thoughts? Pics to come soon...

Had some Modani (sp?) wood in there for a bit, even after soaking it leached too many tannins. Replaced it with some petrified wood, which looks better anyway. Going to do a water change tonight to try to get the water to clear up.

Anyway, got the diy co2 setup without a diffusor for now. I'll add one later if needed. I added a small amount of baking soda to the mixture.

I am dosing Flourish Trace with my water changes and top off's and continue us use RODI water. No other additives right now other than the Seachem water conditioner. Do I even need that with RODI water?

Temp ranges from 70 at night to 78 during the day with the light roaring. I have the photoperiod set for Noon to 9pm.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Shot of the tank from afar.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Starting to get some browning on the leaves of the Sword. I think I will grab some of the Seachem macro nutrients: Potassium, Nitrogen, Phospate and start dosing. I don't want to go dry right away until I get the hang of this
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update on water chemistry readings:

Ntrite- zero
Nitrate- zero
Ammonia- negligable
Total Hardness- 45
PH- 6.4ish
Alk- 0?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've never tested my water, so I have no comment on that. About the mopani wood, did you boil it numerous times? That should keep tannin levels pretty low once it's in the tank. Yes it will keep on leaching, but it won't be as bad as before. Don't forget to pick up your micros, and while you're at it, maybe DIY yeast co2? If you still have the mopani, maybe tie the moss around it. Your future shrimp inhabitants should love it.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode