my new 5 gallon project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
my new 5 gallon project

whats up guys. I never really post here, as i'm on APC and dendroboard most of the time, but i thought i would share my little project i have going on.

I built the tank from scratch. Well, i actually found an old ten gallon, cut it up, and turned it into this tank. It is the second aquarium i have constructed myself. dimensions are 12x12x8.5 and it holds approximately 5.2 gallons.

Substrate is 1/2-1" of mineralized topsoil, topped with red fluorite, topped with regular pea gravel just because i don't really like the look of fluorite.

Driftwood is locally collected, and washed. The small rocks are from our backyard creek, and boiled.

Filter is just a regular 10 gallon filter that was cut to fit.

Tetra brand 10-20 gallon heater.

Future plans: I'm going to let the tank cycle without a light just cuz i don't want to deal with algae. I will eventually build a fixture housing a 27 watt cfl. I plan to use diy co2 cuz its a small tank. i want to put cherry shrimp in there because i have never tried them before. As for plants, i'm not totally sure yet. I'm a bit of a brown thumb, so i need stuff thats not too challenging. I'm thinking mabybe dwarf hairgrass, and maybe an easy bunch of stem plants in the back. If you have any suggestions, please don't hold back!

Here are some pictures:
Tell me what you guys think so far! Thanks for lookin,

Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The wood is really cool. But it seems too thick and makes the tank look small. But with plants I am sure it will work.

80gal planted Angelfish community.
100gal SA cichlid, Silver dollar, and delhezi. No plants!
36 gal Planted Swordtail community.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
that's a nice looking dw... jealous.

btw what filter is that?

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Holly!! That looks so awesome, i am honestly jealous of that wood, fits the tank perfectly!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Retired.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I really like the wood as well. I'd do some fissidens on the wood with a hairgrass carpet. good luck.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
awesome wood! i would do some fissidens as well, on the wood. and either 1) a DHG carpet with e. vivipara in the back right corner around the wood. or 2) a HC carpet with DHG around and under the wood with e. vivipara in the right back corner around the wood.

looks good! i like how the wood is protruding.

post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the feedback everyone! i'm glad this tank doesnt look like total crap (yet). The wood was actually about 3 1/2 feet long to begin with, and i just cut it down to size with yard loppers.

Gnod, i don't really remember exactly what brand filter i have on there, but i do remember i got it from walmart for like 12 bucks. I just pulled it out of my pile of spare filters i keep in my closet :P Its nothing special, but it gets the job done. I'm thinking about adding some peat pellets in the filter to lower my pH a bit and give the water a blackwater kind of tinge to it. Yes? No?

I like the fissidens idea, but unfortunately no store around here has em. basically, you can find crypts and swords here in central illinois haha. Does anybody have any fissidens and/or dwarf hairgrass they could part with for cheap? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money here. My total cost of this tank so far is $2 @ a garage sale for the crappy ten gallon i made it out of and $4 for a tube of silicone lol. Its so scratched up, i swear they cleaned their glass with sandpaper or something! haha.

I'll get around to making a light for it sometime soon.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I actually like the larger dw especially if you are not loading it with fish..

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

^agreed. There will be no fish in the tank either. Only shrimp. Well.... i might get a couple feeder guppies to speed up the cycling process. I'm a horribly impatient person haha. on that thought, why i like plants, i have no idea hahahaha.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well.... i've been workin on the light, and i'd say its about 80% done. Hopefully it will be completed tomorrow sometime. I will go more into detail on how its made, what it holds, etc.. etc... anyways, here is a sneak peak for you guys

p.s. please ignore the terribly messy shop. i have too many projects going on at once :P
Peace,

Ryan
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
If I had more belem I would send you some. I only have one little bit right now.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

no problem bro. thanks for the generosity though! i'm still open to plant suggestions too. I have one tiny little bit of e. acicularis slowly bouncing back in my 30 gallon right now. for some reason it just doesn't like that tank. Maybe when i get the light finished i will throw it over in this tank and hope for a miracle! haha
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
You said you cut up a ten gallon, but the tank you ended up with looks more square than a standard ten. Did you need to add a couple of pieces of glass to it, or did you just shorten the sides a little?
Another thing that came to mind when I saw your driftwood setup is a couple of AGA finalist tanks. They had the driftwood like yours in the corner, but they had built up a hill underneath it using rocks and dirt and then made the whole tank look sort of like the base of an old tree. It was pretty amazing.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
i agree, that would look good. with a steep slope underneath the wood would look awesome i think it would be the thing that makes this tank go from awesome to extraordinary.

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion View Post
You said you cut up a ten gallon, but the tank you ended up with looks more square than a standard ten. Did you need to add a couple of pieces of glass to it, or did you just shorten the sides a little?
Another thing that came to mind when I saw your driftwood setup is a couple of AGA finalist tanks. They had the driftwood like yours in the corner, but they had built up a hill underneath it using rocks and dirt and then made the whole tank look sort of like the base of an old tree. It was pretty amazing.

hmmm let me try and remember how i did it.... i remember that i stepped on the bottom pane of glass and broke it lol, so i only used the 4 sides. The two end pieces were flipped so they were more long than high. These were used for the front and back of the tank. The two long sides were then cut ~9" long and flipped to make the two sides. I had a big enough piece from one of the original front/back to make the bottom. No other glass was used to make the tank. It makes sense in my head :P

I like the substrate hill idea! I'll see if i have time tomorrow to mess around with that before work. Right now i just need to finish the light!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode