Setting up new 10 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arrow Setting up new 10 gallon tank

I am finally getting back into 'nano' tanks (although a 10 gallon barely qualifies IMO) after focusing on my bigger tanks for the past while. I currently have one other nano i am resetting up (long story, i'll get into that later).

As of right now the plan is to set this tank up for my betta i just purchased and some trimmings from my larger tanks. Eventually i will add more to it plant wise and fish wise. I am using a piece of malaysian driftwood i had sitting around the house, and play sand. Is there anything specific you would recommend for a betta tank?

This is probably going to be a somewhat slow progressing tank as i am basically using leftovers/extras for this tank. Lighting will be two 15 watt LifeGlo bulbs, penguin 150 filter. I will be going with a DIY yeast co2 reactor shortly/ at least for the time being.

I've been lurking here for a while, finally felt like i had a reason to sign up. Please let me know if you have any input/suggestions for my set up or what i should do.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
My biggest suggestion is to have a plan. Know what you want to do and what you want to get out of this tank. You plan to build it around your betta so that's where you should start. You already have lighting, filtration, and a c02 plan. You've done all the hard part now work on the fun stuff.

What plants do you want to put in there? Driftwood? Rocks? Both? None? Ceramics? All I can say is make sure there aren't any sharp corners that will damage and tear your betta's tail.

I'm glad to hear you're giving your betta so much more than a small bowl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon Pimp Club #39
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I have a piece of malaysian driftwood that i had stored away that i put in there to have something in there. I'm really starting to think i can work with it, so i think i'll end up leaving it in there. I have plant trimmings that i'm transferring over from other tanks. I should have most of the decoration taken care of. I'm going to try to get my co2 set up running tonight.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick picture of the tank right after i set it up. (i just got my camera, so i'm not practiced on taking pics of tanks). There's still lots to do. Some of the plants had been in a plastic bag a little too long and need some recovering.

I have tomorrow off so i should be able to get everything tidied up a little bit.

I have two life glo 15w bulbs running, just set up the diy co2 reactor.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Definitely keep the CO2 pumping, 30w over a ten gallon depending on how you have it positioned can be low, med, or high. You don't want too much light and not enough CO2.

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode