Nao's first planted tank 5.5g (updated) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
nao

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nao's first planted tank 5.5g (updated)

Hey guys I planted my first tank about 2 months ago. It's been a lot of fun so far I'm just looking for some feedback from all ya'll who actually know what you're doing lol.

Lighting: 2x 27 watt desk lamps mounted about 3 inches above (the hampton bay ones)
DIY Co2
Fertz: flourish comprehensive, flourish nitrogen, excel
Substrate is eco-complete

flora-
Anubias, barteri var. nana
Java Fern
Java Moss
Didiplis diandra
Cryptocoryne, parva
Marsilea hirsuta.
fauna-
8ish red cherry shrimp (went from like 8 to about a billion over night)
1 zebra Nerite snails
2 Amano shrimp

the didiplis diandra has been doing the best I had to majorly trim it back yesterday as it was overshadowing the entire tank. Unfortunatly I didnt take pictures before i did that because it's not so impressive right now lol. The C. Parva is the only plant i worry about a little it never really looks entirely healthy but doesn't look like its dieing either.

Last edited by nao; 07-13-2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Updated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You would be more than good with just one of those lights, you're pushing 10 wpg with two which is outrageously high, unless you only have the lights on for a couple hours a day. I like the tank though.

My ADA Mini-M
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I don't think the watts per gallon rule is an exactly proportional number. On smaller tanks you need a certain amount of minimum wattage before your plants seem to do very well. I have 36 watts above my 2.5 gallon, which technically puts me at 14.4 watts/gallon. That would be WAAAAY to much on a large tank, but on my 2.5 it is about perfect. The reflector isn't the greatest and the lights overlap a bit.
I also have 2x24 watt lights in a canopy above my 5 gallon (9.6 w/g) and that also is just about right.
On larger tanks I generally only run about 3.5 to 4 watts per gallon.
OH! To get to the question of the tank, I have to say that it is already better than my first through about 5th try. The only constructive criticism I would give is that your java moss needs to be trimmed. It is sort of overwhelming the background plants. I would recommend you take the driftwood out before trimming so you don't end up with little bits of java moss all over your tank, like I have done in the past. It gets really hard to fish all those out.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
nao

Yeah It sounds like a ton of light but it seems to be doing fine. The reflectors in the lamps are damn near non existent. I did have a small algae problem for a few days but i raised the lights up a tad and its fine now.

Yeah now that you mention it the java moss doesn't look quite right, but believe it or not that Diandra was grown completely over the java moss and blocking out its light not more than 36 hours ago.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
nao

Update: Wow it's been a month already I've been super busy and haven't had a chance to update this. Here is my tank as of right now the java moss needs to get trimmed again lol, it does about every ten minutes. I have a few questions for all y'all who know what you're doing. The first question is how can i go about cleaning the gravel underneath the ground cover the reason I'm asking this is because I seem to have a growing population of hydra + planaria (I think based off my internet research.) Which I know is apparently from over feeding mah shrimp (but the massive swarm is so cool!) So i cut back the feeding and know I need to do a pretty big cleaning but have no idea how to clean under the ground cover without tearing it up. I wouldn't have a problem doing that except i would have no idea how to replant it haha. So i guess my second question is how to pull up and replant ground cover plants :-P and my third question is should i try the Fenbendazole treatment? Found that in more than a few places it's on planet inverts too.

Edit: Wow that picture is terrible I will try to get a better one, unfortunately i only have my phone.

I also changed the title because there's a lot of "my first tanks" so you can choose to ignore mine ifin you want lol...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode