Tiny White Worms - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tiny White Worms

Hi

I set up a Fluval EBI about a month back (my first tank in seven years) and have just recently got the water parameters to a near perfect level, just making sure it stays stable before adding in some shrimp.

However, I've noticed that there are some tiny white worm-like creatures slithering about on the glass. A google search comes back with a number of possibilities as to what they are as well as some treatments, although some people say they're normal.

So I thought I'd ask around here, has anyone experienced these guys? Are they normal? Should I be worried? I've not put any food in the tank but I've noticed that the gravel has got a little dirty at the front, perhaps from dead plant matter. As there are no shrimp in I think I'm going to give cleaning the front of a gravel a go but I don't have a gravel cleaner so that might get messy! I do my weekly water changes without fail and everything else seems to be going swimmingly.

Frustratingly they're far too small to photograph. But tiny white worms, about 1-3mm in length with a slightly larger head, wiggling around attached to the glass is fairly accurate.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1412 View Post
Hi

I set up a Fluval EBI about a month back (my first tank in seven years) and have just recently got the water parameters to a near perfect level, just making sure it stays stable before adding in some shrimp.

However, I've noticed that there are some tiny white worm-like creatures slithering about on the glass. A google search comes back with a number of possibilities as to what they are as well as some treatments, although some people say they're normal.

So I thought I'd ask around here, has anyone experienced these guys? Are they normal? Should I be worried? I've not put any food in the tank but I've noticed that the gravel has got a little dirty at the front, perhaps from dead plant matter. As there are no shrimp in I think I'm going to give cleaning the front of a gravel a go but I don't have a gravel cleaner so that might get messy! I do my weekly water changes without fail and everything else seems to be going swimmingly.

Frustratingly they're far too small to photograph. But tiny white worms, about 1-3mm in length with a slightly larger head, wiggling around attached to the glass is fairly accurate.

Thanks!
They are planaria worms. I used to get them too. Before doing my planted tank, I rear cichlids, and those tiny worms are abundant, too many to the point that I nuke the tank almost every month. No matter what people say about to cut down the feeding, vacuum the gravel more often, they will not reduce easily.

When my cichlids died from dropsy, I cleaned up the tank and almost given up rearing fish. But later, decided to do planted tank. I set up my tank, and in 2 weeks, the planarias are back! I waited another few days for the water to stabilize and added an OTO CATFISH. WHAM! the planarias are no where to be seen on the glass anymore.

So, there you go. OTO CATFISH EATS planaria i supposed. Not entirely sure, because I also have 5 active danios. But i can tell you right now my tank is free (visibly) from those tiny planaria worms.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Planaria for sure....I finally blasted my tank with this and I am finally planaria free. I used 2X recommended dosage...twice...

http://aquarliam.com/?page_id=4&shopp_pid=5

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncityz View Post
They are planaria worms. I used to get them too. Before doing my planted tank, I rear cichlids, and those tiny worms are abundant, too many to the point that I nuke the tank almost every month. No matter what people say about to cut down the feeding, vacuum the gravel more often, they will not reduce easily.

When my cichlids died from dropsy, I cleaned up the tank and almost given up rearing fish. But later, decided to do planted tank. I set up my tank, and in 2 weeks, the planarias are back! I waited another few days for the water to stabilize and added an OTO CATFISH. WHAM! the planarias are no where to be seen on the glass anymore.

So, there you go. OTO CATFISH EATS planaria i supposed. Not entirely sure, because I also have 5 active danios. But i can tell you right now my tank is free (visibly) from those tiny planaria worms.

Hope that helps.
My Otto's didn't touch em, The link above will work for sure, just be careful if you dose WITH Fauna in the tank, I killed a few shrimp and an Otto by od'ing just a hair over what was recommended.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah, the bastards.

I've yet to put any livestock in there but there are a number of plants and mosses growing well, is that likely to affect those in any way?

It seems as though we don't have the exact version in the UK so I'll try and find an alternative or see if that site will deliver here. A nuking needs to occur. I've had a bit of fun running them over with my algae magnet, although I'm sure they're so tiny that that probably just knocks them off.

Thanks for the help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode