Help on first 10g planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help on first 10g planted tank

Hey guys new here and for the past few days I have been really wanting to set up a planted tank. Right now I'm heavily into reef tanks but now I'm starting to enjoy the beauty of a nicely planted freshwater tank. So I have a Marineland 10g LED tank kit. I bought this thinking I was going to use it for a quarantine tank for my saltwater fish. Now I want to set it upfor a low tech planted tank with some neons and shrimp. Can you guys help get me going on this. I would really appreciate it. Below is a pic of the kit I got I'd interested. Thanks.

-Chance-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306632398.992437.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	31275  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I havethat tank, but replaced the hood. The LEDs arent bright enough for even java fern. Other than that, I really like the tank so far.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish View Post
I havethat tank, but replaced the hood. The LEDs arent bright enough for even java fern. Other than that, I really like the tank so far.
Thanks for the comment. Yea I figured the little LEDs wouldn't be strong enough.

Could some of you help me on like what type of soil weather it's dirt or a specific brand. Also maybe some ideas on lighting and filtration. It did come with a bio wheel. Any help would greatly appreciated.

-Chance-

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a pic so far what do you guys think about the drift wood any suggestions.

-Chance-
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got the water in with a few plants doesn't look like much now but hopefully it will soon. Any suggestions.

-Chance-
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess you have to have a $600 ADA tank on here?
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar32985 View Post
sometimes i begin to think that to. i like the scape so far. has good potential and movement. maybe some taller plants along the back. you want to work in layers, background, middle, foreground. with decreasing heights respectively.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Quote:
Totally agree no one really has helped my threads. I like ur scape use diy co2 you'll get way better growth than none lol well that's what I'd do?
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
i would suggest diy co2. it would definitely be beneficial.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I personally run 15 watt T8 fixtures over my own low tech 10gal setups.

IMO it would be wiser to upgrade your lighting before investing in any more plants at this point.

Once you have your lighting in place it will be easier for people to offer plant suggestions, as which plants may work will largely depend on your lighting and whether or not you want to do CO2 on this tank.

You can work with your current gravel and still have a nice planted tank if you want, but I personally would recommend picking up a bag of Flourite (rinse it really well!) or Eco Complete, as rooted plants will do much better in one of these than in plain gravel.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
sometimes i begin to think that to. i like the scape so far. has good potential and movement. maybe some taller plants along the back. you want to work in layers, background, middle, foreground. with decreasing heights respectively.
Thamks for the reply man i appreciate it. I hope i wasnt being to rude when i said that. Yea i def want some taller plants in the back its very empty right now. Im going to remove everything from the tank tomorrow and put in someorganic soil umder the gravel. I figured its best to do this no than later.

-Chance-
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
Totally agree no one really has helped my threads. I like ur scape use diy co2 you'll get way better growth than none lol well that's what I'd do?
Haha thanks man for the info i really appreciate it.

-Chance-
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I personally run 15 watt T8 fixtures over my own low tech 10gal setups.

IMO it would be wiser to upgrade your lighting before investing in any more plants at this point.

Once you have your lighting in place it will be easier for people to offer plant suggestions, as which plants may work will largely depend on your lighting and whether or not you want to do CO2 on this tank.

You can work with your current gravel and still have a nice planted tank if you want, but I personally would recommend picking up a bag of Flourite (rinse it really well!) or Eco Complete, as rooted plants will do much better in one of these than in plain gravel.
Thank you for the reply. I def want to upgrade the lights on this tank. Do you feel on strip of t8 or t5 will do the trick. Also i am running Flourite under the gravel with some mixed in the gravel. but im thinking of putting organic soil under then capping it with this grave. Any suggestion. Thanks again.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Not to jack the thread but I plan on doing a capped soil as well would like more insight regarding techniques used in rinsing and what not.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I def want to upgrade the lights on this tank. Do you feel on strip of t8 or t5 will do the trick. Also i am running Flourite under the gravel with some mixed in the gravel. but im thinking of putting organic soil under then capping it with this grave. Any suggestion. Thanks again.
A single T8 strip would work fine. You might need CO2 or Excel with a single T5NO strip, and would definitely need CO2/Excel with T5HO.

You can work with what you have, or you can try the organic soil underneath if you want- just be aware you'll need about a 2" cap on top to hold it down, and that will take up a lot of room in a small tank like a 10gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
Not to jack the thread but I plan on doing a capped soil as well would like more insight regarding techniques used in rinsing and what not.
There are several different soil substrate techniques. Making mineralized topsoil (MTS) requires quite a bit of rinsing- you process the soil through several wet and dry phases.

If you're just using Miracle Gro Oraganic Choice potting soil, you don't need to rinse it. Some people do sift it to pull out the larger clumps and pieces of bark. Sifting would probably be a really good idea especially for small tanks, but I didn't worry about it for my 90gal or 46gal.

Other brands of organic soil I cannot speak towards, as the Miracle Gro is the only one I have used. I would be nervous of soils containing high percentages of compost and/or manure, though, as I think those would likely leech into water and possibly cause ammonia spikes and/or algae blooms, even with a cap. Those types of soils should probably be mineralized before use?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode