first nano tank, thoughts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
first nano tank, thoughts?

So i have this little 1.9 gallon rectangle tank that was a betta tank with dividers in it that i never got around to using. And i have a whole bunch of left over planted substrate from my other tanks i got nothing to do with so i came up with a idea today. how about a very low matinence planted tank. Using the 1.9 gallon tank and a combination of BBB and fluorite i want to make a strait up planted nano. No fish or shrimp so im not gonna run a filter, and its small enough that i can fit it near a window sil in my room that gets plenty of light so i dont think il need a light. All the rock and wood il get from collecting in the woods near my house or beach. not really even sure what plants i could put in it, but was thinking anubias petite nana and some type of moss.

So with all that said, does anyone think this will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Of course it will work! You might want to do small waterchanges from time to time, and I'd throw some cherries or yamatos in there just to keep it interesting.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

nice! ha yea i planned on doing water changes which should be pretty simple. Really i could add shrimp? i figured that they would need a filter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Check out this thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...rimp-bowl.html
The way I see it, you want to do something that is extremely low maintenance yet very beautiful. Thread mentioned above is a perfect example of it IMO. Sorry if it seems like I'm thread jacking and/or advertising; that is not my intention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
The thing with these enclosed spheres is that the shrimps die slowly inside, or so I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indignation View Post
Just a question before you do... How do you feel about the bettas that are sold and kept in tiny cups? I don't see much difference between that and these ecospheres.

They use the Opae'ula shrimp for a reason, they are the only species that can survive these conditions. The shrimp are extremophiles, and can survive on little food and toxic water conditions. But surviving and thriving are two different matters. A betta can survive in a dirty cup, but it's certainly not going to be happy. I imagine the shrimp in these feel the same way. I've read reports of the shrimp actually shrinking when they molt, due to the lack of food. The Opae'ula have a lifespan of up to 20 years. Reconcile that with the 1-3 years these guys live in the spheres.

I would expect people of this forum to have a little more common sense in regards to these things... We as a group should understand exactly what is required for a self-sustaining eco-system, and see clearly that these things don't have what's required.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the replys and link to that thread, pretty much thats what im going for..do i have to worry about shrimp crawling out of the tank? currently the piece of wood i put in it sticks about a inch out of the top.

Also anyone know how to go about de rimming a tank?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellgoosen View Post
.do i have to worry about shrimp crawling out of the tank? currently the piece of wood i put in it sticks about a inch out of the top.

Also anyone know how to go about de rimming a tank?
Is the exposed part of the wood resting on the glass? If it isn't resting on the glass then I wouldn't worry about it; help or no help, those shrimps will find a way to dry up on your carpet/wherever.

About derimming a tank, lots of patience, sharp blades, and an extra tank incase you break the first. Also check out this link on derimming at tank: http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah....immed_Tank.pdf

After you successfully derimmed your tank, check this out: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...e-rimming.html

It should be easier since yours is small. Good luck, have fun, and last but not least... STAY SAFE!!

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode