Lisa816's Fluval Ebi (PIC's updated 6/14) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Lisa816's Fluval Ebi (PIC's updated 6/14)

Update 6/14 Current FTS

Here is my new Ebi on 5/20/11...

I saw the Ebi at a lfs and had to have one. I am currently moving all my RCS over from their 10g home. Well, thought I had them all moved until I saw a couple more in there again. Everytime I see a couple more to move, I end up finding 10 more. Not sure how long it will take to find and move all of them.

The driftwood and plants are from my 55g. The driftwood has Anubias attached to it. The other plants are Java Fern and Crypts and a couple stem plants in the back. I kept the background intact. I saw that lots of people remove the background and some even had it pop off after a while. Fluval must have finally tried to remedy the problem of the background popping off by doubling the amount of silicone they glue it on with. Mine came in glued with 10 big spots of silicone instead of the 5 I'd read about. I decided to leave it and the RCS seem to love it. There are a bunch of shrimp crawling around on the background at all times.

Right now the tank is set up with all the included parts. No way there was enough of the Shrimp Stratum substrate included for proper planting depth though. Is it ok to add more Stratum when there is already water, plants and shrimp in the tank? Could it be gently added with a cup maybe?

I also have the Ebi stock filter in the tank, covered with a black stocking to protect the little ones. I packed it with a bag of BioMax from my 55g's Fluval 305 filter. The filter seems to be working fine, but I have a ZooMed 501 canister, still brand new and not being used for anything. I was thinking about putting the 501 on the Ebi instead of the stock filter. Anyone know how the Ebi filter compares to a 501? Should I switch to the 501 or keep the stock filter? I'd love some opinions.

Here is a picture of a few of my Ebi-inhabitants:

Last edited by Lisa816; 06-14-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Updated 6/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Very nice! It took me a month to catch all the cherry shrimp out of a 6 gallon tank. I am "pretty sure" I have them all out now.

I tried to use the stock filters, but one of them started to rattle so I swaped them out for 501's . I have heard good and bad about the zoomed 501's but for now they are all I can afford since I have two EBI's to filter. I have only had the 501's running for a month so time will tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the Zoomed 511 on my EBI and couldn't be happier

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have the ZM 501 as well. I swapped out the stock pipes for acrylic that a forum member made for me and all is right in the world. My only complaint is the tubes get really nasty, really fast.. I tore down the pipes clean them and the tubes a few days ago and already the tubes are looking like heck.

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I decided to switch out the stock filter for the ZM 501, but how do you attach the intake and outflows to the tank and still use the lid? There's not enough room between the tank and the lid to fit them in along the edge or in the corners.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa816 View Post
Ok, I decided to switch out the stock filter for the ZM 501, but how do you attach the intake and outflows to the tank and still use the lid? There's not enough room between the tank and the lid to fit them in along the edge or in the corners.

I'm not using the lids.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
I'm not using the lids.
Do you have any escapees, more evaporation, or any other problems with not using the lid? Do you worry about the light falling in the tank or anything else crazy happening with not using the lid?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa816 View Post
Do you have any escapees, more evaporation, or any other problems with not using the lid? Do you worry about the light falling in the tank or anything else crazy happening with not using the lid?

I worried about all those things and that I might splash water onto the light bulb. But I move the light over to the side when I am doing stuff in the tank and so far no problems.

There is slightly more evaporation.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just an update, the stock filter has been changed out for a ZooMed 501.
Here's a picture of how the tank looks with the new 501 intake and spraybar, instead of the internal filter.

Side view of the tank and filter.

I cut a new top from a piece of plexiglass and made a cutout for the 501 pipes.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
beautiful tank you got there!

very innovative take on the cover too! great job!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Vary nice job...i did the same thing with the top but it started to sag from the heat of the light.So i had a glass shop cut a half moon in the glass top for my pipes
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good. I can't tell if you have something covering the intake, but a Fluval Edge pre-filter sponge fits perfectly over that intake.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo.../dp/B004K9A15G

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckweed hunter View Post
Vary nice job...i did the same thing with the top but it started to sag from the heat of the light.So i had a glass shop cut a half moon in the glass top for my pipes
I may have to take my lid to a glass shop too. The plexiglass is starting to bow a little.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
Looks good. I can't tell if you have something covering the intake, but a Fluval Edge pre-filter sponge fits perfectly over that intake.

http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo.../dp/B004K9A15G
I cut a black stocking and zip tied it over the intake. I used a Fluval Edge prefilter sponge in the 10g on the AC20 and it worked great. I wasn't sure it would work with the 501 since it's a different shape and size, but since it works for you, I'm going to pick up another one for the 501.
Thanks!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: First I ordered some more Shrimp Stratum and added more substrate. There just wasn't enough there to plant in. I couldn't even get the crypts roots to stay under. I got a 4.4# bag and used a little over half of it and I'm happy with the results. If they would have just included an extra 2#, there would have been enough for sufficient planting depth. Since it was already planted and inhabited by shrimp, I had to use a tiny cup and a spoon to gently add the stratum. I rinsed it before and added it ever soooo gently, so it didn't create too much mess. Just a little grey cloud to the water, but it was crystal clear again in just a few hours.

Next big news - I added 10 CRS!!! Thanks Jimko! They are all so pretty and doing great!!! Included with the CRS (their little security blanket) was some Pellia. I tied one piece to a small flat rock with fishing line, next to it - one piece is attached to a rounded rock with net, and a 3rd piece is loose in the front right corner of the tank. The shrimp love it, so we'll see which way grows best (I hope it will grow one way or the other).

Finally some updated pictures...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode