My fluval edge - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My fluval edge

Hi all, well I've always been fascinated with aquariums, especially when seeing a great planted one. I would go to my local fish store and was always blown away with the large planted tank they had. It's a glimpse into an underwater world. Anyway, i tried a few 10 g tanks maybe 10 years ago, but i would slack off slowly on maintanance, and the tank would go green and then i gave up. Well, I've decided to give it a go again after I saw the Edge. I thought I might be able to keep this thing in the living room , and not stuck in some dark corner of the house (where my wife prefers it). Well, it didn't end up in the living room, but in our den, so it's not too out of sight. We'll see if i can keep up with maintaining it this time around.

Well, i wanted a planted tank, but something relatively simple, so I opted for some mosses (taiwan and singapore if I recall correctly), and am going to try a glosso carpet. I also planted a water sprite at the back of the tank , but i may get rid of it. I'm not sure it fits well with the tank setup.We'll see.
(I'm writing this at work at present, but I would like to post a few pics soon and get some opinions)

I've had the tank for about 4 weeks. I cycled it for about 2 weeks fishless, then I added 2 peacock gudgeons and 4 amano shrimp and 1 pinnochio shrimp. So far eveythings alive, and seems to be doing well. The water parameters are in good range ( I just use a 6 in 1 test strip).

Substrate wise, I have a fine layer of peat with a 1 inch layer of flourite topped off with 1/2 to 1 inch layer of sand. I have modified the edge lighting, by getting rid of the spotlightish stock halogens and adding 2 cf bulbs with a total of 16 watts of light. I kept the stock HOB filter but have an intake sponge and added a small sponge on the outake side as well as i found it too turbulent in the tank with the filter on high flow. My sand would somewhat wash away in the flow. I know i could adjust the flow, which is what i had been doing initially, but about 3 weeks into the tank i came home and the filter had stopped at some point. I took the impeller out and cleaned it , although it looked clean, and it worked again. So I thought maybe running on lowest flow setting wasn't so great, so i added the little bit of foam to reduce the outflow turbulence andi can have the filter on high flow. I also had a submersible heater but the edge is so small, that the heater really destroys some of the aesthetics of the setup, so I am in process of trying something different heating wise.

I am trying a reptile 50 W heating cable. I have wrapped my HOB filter with the heating cable. It's a 23 ft cable ( the smallest i could find), so I have a lot left not on the filter but I started at the top of the filter and left about 1 inch between wraps, taped with electrical tape all around circling ther whole filter on the outside. It is meant to wrap on plastic terrarium decor so I think it should be fine on the plastic of the filter. There is no thermostat, but it really doesn't get hot, but is certainly warm to the touch and seems to be working. I left for a few days and we had a cold snap up here in canada, so when i came home the ambient temp in our house was around 56 degrees, and my tank was at 74, so i am pleased so far. over the summer i will unplug it, but I am glad to have freed up space in the tank.
I am dosing with excel every other day about 1/2 ml. I am not ready for Co2 injection yet, and i don't think my plants need it. The glosso is starting to spread nicely. I did plant it in little leaf pairs a few cm apart (sore back )and so far so good. i change about 20 % water /week.

I am still pretty new at this, but i have done a lot of web research, i would appreciate any suggestions.

I would like a few schooling fish to add to the tank to go along with the 2 gudgeons and 5 shrimp. Suggestions? I am leaning toward maybe 3 green tetras. Would 5 be too many for my tank?

Thanks for reading and i will try to post some pics soon.

quinn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
research one of the smallest rasbora species. they are a somewhat clearish fish, but i think they have either yellow or red colors as well. I remember them from another member's edge on this forum and their size is perfect for your tank, you could even get 5+ of them in there as opposed to 2-3 of the smallest neon tetras(green).
just something to think about.

also we need pics of the tank :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
Probably get some chili rasboras as they stay small. Maybe you can change the amano to some dwarf shrimp specie?
Watch out for some heat due to CF bulbs. They tend to heat up under that hood(if you have it installed under. You can put in some PC fans to help cool it down.
I gave up on keeping the stock hood of my edge as it is hard to cram in some good lighting for it specially when I had it converted from planted to a mini reef.

Another 2.5g story

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the chili advice I will check them out. I took a few quick pics of my tank. here goes.

I like the idea of multiple level rocks. I have the moss tied to flat slate pieces so i can move them around as required. I was inspired by a tank i saw called "the world before columbus" I don't have a link at present, but you should check it out, it looks quite majestic.

Here is my light mod:

They do get fairly hot, but it hasn't caused troubles yet. But they do improve the lighting substantially. my first tanks pics above don't quite show the lighting well, but it is a definite improvement.

Here is my heating cable around my filter:

sorry for the blurry shot, i was trying to take a picture with one hand while holding the running filter. My little foam outflow baffle can be seen also, so i couldn't pull the filter out all the way.

Here is a top shot of my starting glosso and a shot of one of the peacock gudgeons. thanks for looking and if you have any suggestions please feel free to share.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Glosso is pretty cheap. You could probably even find some ROAKs out there to take advantage of. I would more heavily plant the glosso because.... why not? It's a fast-mover, sure, but why not take a month off from your wait time?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Hi Turok,

You might want to check out "The Official Fluval Edge" thread here as well. There is a ton of info for this specific tank there...

sox

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfish View Post
Hi Turok,

You might want to check out "The Official Fluval Edge" thread here as well. There is a ton of info for this specific tank there...

sox

+1 when i first got my fluval edge it probably saved me my sanity and plenty of money i would have lost otherwise.

My Fluval Edge 6 gallon

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, yes, I have read the entire Official ede thread, which is where I got the lighting mod idea from. It's a visually appealing tank, i like being able to view throught the top glass, but the small opening is bit of a pain sometimes.

A quick question RE excel dosing. As i said I have been dosing excel every other day 1/2 ml, as per directions on the bottle. This is my first excperience with excel. How dependant is that dose upon the amount of flora in the tank. I really don't have a whole lot of plant matter, so I'm wondering as the plant matter grows do you usually increase the dose? As well, what signs would there be if I was overdosing the excel? thanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
if plants start to die youre probably overdosing, but it sounds like you are dosing small amounts which is good. at this point you dont have to dose as frequently but as more plant matter accumulates you can dose more.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Nice hardscape! That's kind of what I am planning on doing with my edge, I'm just waiting for my lfs to get more petrified wood in so it matches the chunks that I already have.

ps. The World Before Columbus: http://www.aquascapingworld.com/maga...-in-Focus.html ~ I LOVE this tank!

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode