Best use for an attached sump on a nano tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Best use for an attached sump on a nano tank?

The way the tank was set up, water entered via the overflow on the left side of the tank and was returned by a powerhead on the right. That set up was a shrimp and fish eater. I removed the powerhead and installed an Ecco canister filter. I put the filter intake in the sump on the side opposite the overflow. The return line is in the tank. Now I get a nice gentle flow through the sump.

My question is, what can I put in the sump? There is a large middle chamber. I could fill it with bio balls, lava rock, plants ... pretty much anything.

Thanks.

Marty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would go with bioceramic rings or balls, not plastic bioballs, and definitely not lava rock. Bioballs do provide biological filtration but not enough in such a small space, lava rock works great at firstbut becomes impacted and slowly loses bio-availability (aka surface area for bacteria to grow because all the pores get impacted with crud and there is no way to clean it all out).

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
You can use it to grow some mosses

Just attach a small light to the back and let the stuff grow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharsis View Post
You can use it to grow some mosses

Just attach a small light to the back and let the stuff grow.
This is what I would do. Currently java moss is taking over one of my HOB filters. The moss filters out all the crud pretty well and grows like crazy. Other than that I would go for mechanical filtration since your plants should provide plenty of bio filtration.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode