First planted tank in 12 years....Nano money pit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First planted tank in 12 years....Nano money pit

I was asked to set up my daughter's tank with java moss and anubias nana. While setting it up, I saw the Fluval flora set up in a box at our lfs. I walked out with it in tow. Seemed like a great deal at the time for 129. I didnt know any better. Last time i checked, it cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars to set up a planted tank with co2.

Got home, opened the box, and was disappointed. The co2 unit requires daily attention. The light is only for low light plants. This isnt going to cut it. And thus the project began.

I just bought an Eheim Jager heater, an Azoo Co2 regulator w/ solenoid, a bell diffuser/check valve set and a Finnex 26 watt clip on light. Gonna shop around for some additional substrate, a 5 pound co2 bottle and a few other accutrements. The plan is to do either an hc or a gs carpetted iwagumi.

This little tank project went a bit overboard. I hope this is not the start oh another obsession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well I hope your tank is a success. BTW its is an obsession, I spent 900 bucks on my ADA mini m setup. Hows that for overboard.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
hehe...funny....sounds familiar....my kiddos wanted a tank....a year later...they have four...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
The caption for the Planted Nano Tanks sections asks "A little short on cash? Discuss any of the problems related to smaller tanks." After seeing the prices for some of these tiny tank setups, I've wondered, are nano tanks for people that don't have a ton of money to spend on a large tank, or are the "problems related to smaller tanks" due to the fact that they cost an arm and a leg.

I'm beginning to think that owning a nano tank makes you "a little short on cash".
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doinkmobb View Post
The caption for the Planted Nano Tanks sections asks "A little short on cash? Discuss any of the problems related to smaller tanks." After seeing the prices for some of these tiny tank setups, I've wondered, are nano tanks for people that don't have a ton of money to spend on a large tank, or are the "problems related to smaller tanks" due to the fact that they cost an arm and a leg.

I'm beginning to think that owning a nano tank makes you "a little short on cash".

"A little short on cash? Discuss (your overspending) any of the (other) problems related to smaller tanks."

Fixed!

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
All tanks cost money!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Before you start the tank, If it is the weird one with the tiny hole you may want to look at something else in my opinion. If it is the regular cube you're good.

Or maybe my advice is to just get a mini m because they're nicer but that'd be bad advise since we all know that not one but two tanks would be set up instead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt808 View Post
Well I hope your tank is a success. BTW its is an obsession, I spent 900 bucks on my ADA mini m setup. Hows that for overboard.
Lets just say I know what you mean... I mean... I tell my friends it cost $100 per gallon but we can double that to be honest among addicts... That may still be an understatement

I agree the forum should be retitled.

-Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode