My messy 5 gallon ark - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
My messy 5 gallon ark

Here is my little 5 gallon desktop tank. I moved recently and had to leave almost all of my tanks and plants behind, but I managed to take 2 small tanks and a very small sample of plants.

I managed to save my cherry shrimp as well and now they are living in luxury, along with a couple of amano shrimp and some trumpet snails that I like to keep around. This is my initial setup.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is the same tank after some grow out time. I only had a couple of small bits of riccia, but I was determined to grow it back out and so tied them to a piece of rock and every time they started to grow out, I would cut them and re-tie them again.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After a while the plants started to grow out nicely and it was time to do some trimming. The plant in the rear left corner I haven't identified yet, but I did ask in the plants forum if anyone knew what it was.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is the current state of the tank after trimming and replanting that unidentified plant. I always clean two sides of the tank and let the rear two sides become a uniform shade of green. It beats paying money for a background. After reviewing the pictures, however, it looks kind of terrible, lol. The rear right is baby's tears and some riccia got caught in the filter intake and started to grow into an intake beard. I will have to shave that messy drunk and get him cleaned up soon.

I took these pictures with my phone and while they aren't bad, for some reason the colors don't come through very well. The riccia is a bright shade of green, while the hairgrass is darker. Also, the pics don't do justice to the lovely color of that plant in the rear left corner that looks sort of like tall field grass.
I am debating how to tweak the aquascape so that it looks a little better without completely overhauling it. I am returning to college in a few months and am very broke so my options are limited. I am very happy with the plants and the growth, but the layout is missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it is with the stone layout?
Oh, and the mystery plant has been identified as Potamegeton Gayi.

Last edited by Aphyosemion; 05-16-2011 at 02:57 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
what's your foreground plant? it's so lush! any co2?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Looks good, always fun to see such great grow in. Love the Riccia covered intake.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have DIY CO2. I just use a 20 oz bottle and an airstone, which is buried in the baby's tears in the rear right of the tank.
The very front of the tank is dwarf hairgrass and right behind it I have a row of riccia. The only real inhabitants of the tank are a couple of hundred cherry shrimp and some trumpet snails. I will have to start thinning out the snails though, since when I replanted the tank they had a giant snail orgy and now are overpopulating my tank. It was terrible, I had to call the snail cops and everything to break it up.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion View Post
I have DIY CO2. I just use a 20 oz bottle and an airstone, which is buried in the baby's tears in the rear right of the tank.
The very front of the tank is dwarf hairgrass and right behind it I have a row of riccia. The only real inhabitants of the tank are a couple of hundred cherry shrimp and some trumpet snails. I will have to start thinning out the snails though, since when I replanted the tank they had a giant snail orgy and now are overpopulating my tank. It was terrible, I had to call the snail cops and everything to break it up.
Could you provide the number for the snail cops?

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion View Post
Nice! Do u mean by adding an airstone, it will improve the condition of the plants?
I just added one to my tank of Rilis, cos the climate is hot here.
I may add an airstone too, to my cherries tank, if it's advantageous.

Btw, won't yr amanos bully your cherries? I've reas stories about it. Lol.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here is an update to the tank. I rearranged the rocks a little to try to get more impact, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. I just fed the shrimp so there are some little specs of fish food on the bottom of the tank and the little guys are going to town.

I think when I get around to redoing the tank I will have to have a layout in mind before I aquascape, rather than putting stuff in there and then trying to arrange it after the fact. It seems very difficult to get a satisfying layout in such a small tank, but I know it is possible.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiex09 View Post
Nice! Do u mean by adding an airstone, it will improve the condition of the plants?
I just added one to my tank of Rilis, cos the climate is hot here.
I may add an airstone too, to my cherries tank, if it's advantageous.

Btw, won't yr amanos bully your cherries? I've reas stories about it. Lol.
Well, I run the CO2 through an air line and have an airstone on the end to bust up the bubbles a little bit for better water contact.
Yes, amanos WILL eat your cherry shrimp! I feed the tank daily because I have noticed in the past that the amanos will start snagging cherries if they get hungry and can't find enough algae. They don't eat many, but they will definitely snag one from time to time.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Tank looks good. Everything grew in real nice.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think your unidentified plant is this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow man that's a beautiful tank. I like it alot

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode