Newbie trying out aquascaping for 5 gallon nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie trying out aquascaping for 5 gallon nano

Hey guys!

Previously I've only tried to do some very simple scapes, and this is the first time I'm using wood as well as rocks for the 5 gallon (so very inspired by all the awesome tanks in this forum!)

Here's roughly how it's going to look like ... does anything needs to be moved? I've actually 1 more piece of rock, but didn't put it in as it might make the scape look cluttered.. what do you think?

For plants, I'll be reusing most of the plants from the previous scape, includes nanas, java moss (to be tied to the branches), water sprite, java fern, amazon swords, Hygrophyla, Brazilian pennywort and 1 marimo ball (hope I got the names right!)

Any advice on possible placement of the plants would be greatly appreciated! This will be a low maintenance, low tech tank, no co2.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I think you should go with the two rocks you have or just the stump.

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
The wood looks nice; I like how it will stick out of the water. But the rocks don't really flow with it. Try messing around with it a little more before you fill it. Because if you try to fix if after it's filled, you end up with a horrible cloudy mess.

That's an interesting tank! What brand is it?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Or you could put the rocks at the wood's base and fill it in with plants.

But separately, it makes the scape too disconnected IMO.

I love that piece of wood though!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Maybe turn the wood around? For me it seems awkward to have the largest protuberance of the wood to be in the foreground area. Also, maybe move the rocks abit farther away from the glass. You'll have more room to plant around it Then again, these are my opinions.

I agree with everyone, the wood looks great. Just don't cover the entire thing with javamoss. Since you're in Singapore, you should use a more exotic moss than just java moss. I've heard great things about Singapore's planted tank communities so yeah...

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for the comments and advice folks! Glad you like the wood! Had to dig around quite a bit to find something suitable that could fit into my tank!

@Geniusdudekiran: It's an Ocean Free tank 17" x 7.5" with a curved front.

@PinoyBoy: I tried shifting the wood as suggested but alas.. my tank is too narrow to accommodate other positions unless I saw off certain parts .. and my home saw is currently mia .. hah...

Didn't realise the original arrangement of the rocks did not flow that well. Appreciate the inputs! Tried to shift the rocks to blend in with the branches as advised, do you think it works better now?

Moving on, I'm cracking my head to figure out how to use up the empty space on the left, thinking of getting some variety of moss (as suggested by PinoyBoy) in those rock formats but I'm not too sure which would be suitable for 9W lighting and no co2? Any suggestions?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ooh, that's much, much nicer!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenhunter View Post
Ooh, that's much, much nicer!
Hey Jenhunter thanks for the comment!! I was cracking my head on where I could put those rocks!

Btw has anyone tried using java moss to carpet the ground? Since it's quite a low light tank without co2, I don't think the usual carpeting plants would be able to survive in the environment.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Decided to try to use java moss to carpet the tank, hopefully it won't become too messy!

Anyways, some random shots of the tank so far. It's meant to be viewable from the front and the back. I think I need more plants! Any suggestions on possible plants and plant placement?

Front view

Back view
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update, the Java moss tied to the branches are turning brown ... not sure why, but the moss on the gravel is still nice and dark green. Is the light too much for it?

Notice some melting leaves from some other plants too *sad*

As this tank will eventually house my betta (who is in a hospital tank right now) it will also house RCS which are not as red. Here're some shots of the inhabitants who were added recently.

Got for the tank some Downoi It's a really cute plant! Hope it will survive...

Closer look at one of the shrimps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode