My 10 gal planted, advice please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
My 10 gal planted, advice please!

So here is my 10 gallon (first tank ever!) that i started on april 19. I think the plants still need to adjust, should i fertilize them? I'm still kind of cycling the tank, but have some shrimp in there and 3 zebra danios that were from cycling. I don't know what the two plants are that i took pictures of, does anyone know? Thanks for the help, any criticism is welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	30889  

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	30890  

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	30891  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

it's under my tanks too so if anyone has advice i would really appreciate it!
also, i don't really like how it's all arranged now, so how can i arrange it better to make it look nice? this is a non co2 tank, unless you guys think DIY co2 would make that big of a difference, but i think the fish and shrimp and snails have enough co2 give off
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Welcome to PlantedTank!

Quote:

First picture looks like a cryptocoryne and the 2nd one looks like an anubias.

What do you mean under your tanks too?

Anyways, crypts do great with nutritious substrates. Since you're using innert colorful gravel, root tabs should make that crypt happy. Need more info on the tank. What kind of light are you using? Watts? How long is it on?

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinoyBoy View Post
Welcome to PlantedTank!

First picture looks like a cryptocoryne and the 2nd one looks like an anubias.

What do you mean under your tanks too?

Anyways, crypts do great with nutritious substrates. Since you're using innert colorful gravel, root tabs should make that crypt happy. Need more info on the tank. What kind of light are you using? Watts? How long is it on?
Thanks man! i mean under the tanks i have on this site, like under my username it says "my tanks". its got 2 10 watt 50/50 bulbs on a 12 hour photoperiod. what root tabs would you recommend? do any of the other plants in there need them? and on that crypt the roots are really long (as you can see in the photo) so it's really hard to plant it. can i cut them a little or will it kill it? thanks man it's my first tank so i'm ignant
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
A couple of things. I am not sure how well plants do without actual plant substrate, but you might want to look into getting some Eco-complete or flourite instead of that epoxy coated stuff. You might have problems later on with nutrient deficiencies otherwise and adding ferts can result in algae explosions if not done right. Believe me, I know, because that is what I do half the time.
Another thing you will want to do is increase your plant density in order to keep the algae under control.
For me starting a new tank usually involves an idea, a few plants and then a huge algae explosion, which only comes under control after the plants have grown out considerably. It is funny how long I have done this without realizing just how densely Takashi Amano does his initial planting. That would have saved me a lot of headaches if I had been paying attention sooner.
Lastly, DIY CO2 will definitely make a diffference. All you need for a small tank is an airstone, a pop bottle and a yeast/sugar mix.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion View Post
A couple of things. I am not sure how well plants do without actual plant substrate, but you might want to look into getting some Eco-complete or flourite instead of that epoxy coated stuff. You might have problems later on with nutrient deficiencies otherwise and adding ferts can result in algae explosions if not done right. Believe me, I know, because that is what I do half the time.
Another thing you will want to do is increase your plant density in order to keep the algae under control.
For me starting a new tank usually involves an idea, a few plants and then a huge algae explosion, which only comes under control after the plants have grown out considerably. It is funny how long I have done this without realizing just how densely Takashi Amano does his initial planting. That would have saved me a lot of headaches if I had been paying attention sooner.
Lastly, DIY CO2 will definitely make a diffference. All you need for a small tank is an airstone, a pop bottle and a yeast/sugar mix.
Well i ordered flourish excel and flourish fert. so i'm good without co2. i'm not doing substrate, too late and too much of a pain to replace it, plus things seem to be doing fine. I rearranged my tank, any thoughts on it? and look at the difference of 2 days on that anubias, amano shrimp do work!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1200.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	30962  

Name:	IMG_1199.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	30963  

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice clean looking tank, but i find myself focusing on the blue gravel more than anything else.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
i actually really like the blue i think it looks really cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok tested water today:
pH 7.2
Alkalinity 120
Hardness 120
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Sound like those conditions would be ok for cardinal tetras? how about blue rams? if not, how should i change the water conditions?

Thanks Rockhoe14er! and its not quite as blue in person as my iphone picture shows
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You don't have any plant substrate under those gravels?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I like the new layout much better, and I'm amazed by how good that anubias looks now, hooray for amanos!

You should be fine with inert substrate, it's what i have in 2 of my 3 tanks without problems, I add root tab to the substrate and the plants are fine, crypts grow really well for me even in my inert substrate, in fact currently they're doing better in my 10g (inert) than in my 30g that has "plant substrate" So don't worry about that aspect. Any aquarium root tabs you can find should do fine, I used to use whichever ones were in stock at my local fish store, I think you can find larger quantities at a better price online though (i forget the brand though, so you can wait for someone else to chime in on that ) In fact, one of the vendors on here might sell them.

As for cutting the crypt roots, I've never done that, so I can't answer for sure, but the large batch of roots getting in the way of planting the crypt very deep in the substrate is actually good because the rhizome (the stem-like part that runs along the substrate that the leaves grow out of) needs to be kept above the gravel because it requires light to keep the plant alive. As the crypt acclimates and begins growing, it should pull itself a bit closer to the gravel as it extends its roots Also, don't get disheartened if the leaves start melting, it's very normal for crypts to do that when put in a new tank, or moved around, or even if you look at them sideways but it should bounce back and start sending out new leaves, so don't give up on it!

Sorry for the novel, but I figured I'd chime in with any potentially useful info I could think of Good luck!

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

no substrate

well i did cut the crypt roots, seem to be doing fine, and they planted much better. i just decided to do liquid fert instead of root tabs cause that does everything i seems like. Thanks for your comments! Tank seems to be doing pretty well for no co2, fert, or excel yet, doesn't it? here are some better pictures that do the tank more justice, and a pic of one of the amanos. think i could add in 3 cardinal tetras tomorrow, take out the 3 danios?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	30971  

Name:	IMG_2722.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	30972  

Name:	IMG_2727.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	30973  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode