Tharsis' 2.5 Gallon DSM non-CO2 tank - the long wait begins - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Tharsis' 2.5 Gallon DSM non-CO2 tank - the long wait begins

I decided that I wanted to make a very low maintenance Walstad inspired Non-CO2 tank. I have no idea if this will work on such a small tank because the total biomass will be pretty low but what the heck. And I am sure I will make tons of mistakes as I haven't really done much research on how to do it, but we will see how it goes haha.

I also want to try a glosso carpet to make things more exciting along with some traditional higher light stem plants.

I derimmed a petco 2.5 gallon tank

Prepared it for spray painting

the result was a nice mirror in the noon day sun haha, I also spray painted a hanging light.

I added an inch of top soil. Lots of sticks and fertilizer balls, this is probably my first mistake.

Wanted to do a stump as usual, but I wanted a nice intricate one, so I added this piece and then capped it with sandblasting sand. Hopefully the sand will be thick enough to keep all the soil in place.

Here is a close up of the stump. Lots of intricate textures and caves. I am planning on housing shrimp so this should keep them entertained.

Here is the FTS with the light and no water yet. I am using a 20 Watt Spiral CFL in the fixture.

And the desk that it is sitting on. That shelf poses a bit of a problem for the light haha, so I think I will have to find another place for it. The beauty of the nano is that they can b easily moved!

As for planting, I am thinking of doing a glosso carpet, with blyxa japonica in the back. And some stems, not sure what yet. I also want to add a moss, but that is also undecided. I have always used boring java moss just because I always have tons, but this time I think I want to class it up a bit

I think to start though, I am going to plant the glosso fairly dense in the front and have a ton of sunset hygro in the back to keep algae at bay, once it looks like things are going well, I will slowly take out the weed and replace it with blyxa and other nicer stems.

I was also thinking of possibly doing a dry start for the glosso, but I have no idea if that would work. Any opinions would be great!!

I will probably put some mountain minnows to start, and then down the line I want to add some shrimp. Probably just RCS.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tharsis; 05-25-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Great start. And I'm also extremely jealous of that stump.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)
"I added an inch of top soil. Lots of sticks and fertilizer balls, this is probably my first mistake. "

"I am planning on housing shrimp so this should keep them entertained. "

Those might not work out well together. Keeping water quality stable is hard enough with a 2.5g...even before adding ferts and topsoil. Just a thought.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The soil is key for a non CO2 method in order to keep the algae at bay but I am unsure if the one I used will be ok or not. It is what I had lying around though so I thought what the heck This method seems to be very successful for larger tanks and I am curious if it will work on a smaller tank.

The shrimp will be farther down the line when everything has stabilized. I am planning on monitoring the water parameters pretty regularly so i will get a good feel for the stability as well.

I know shrimp don't do well with CO2, but I don't know about them being intolerant to ferts. I guess I will have to look into that.

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Oh my, I like that stump!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks

I spent several hours today trying to find the right one! I discovered that getting a piece of wood suitable for such a small tank can be quite a challenge.

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Stump is PERFECT!

The only thing I would have done differently was to screen the soil. From the looks of it, it looks like they're mostly shredded sticks.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I think I may take it out and try a different soil. I acted hastily, luckily I haven't filled it with water so it is a fairly easy switch. I am fairly certain that I should use potting soil for this (I will look into it) instead of top soil, but I need to use one with less sticks.

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
You don't hear the often "hey I like your stump", it looks very good and the more plants the better, plus you can do a fishless cycle. Beware of the silicon gassing out, you may want to fill your tank with water and let it set until this gas off and then refill, before you plant. Lots of plants will help with natural soil in the tank so over plant with cheap plants that you can trash later if you have to. This would also be a good tank for a dry start, you should do some reading before you go ahead. I'll give some material that may help; http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/ and http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-learn-it-well plus http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...shless-Cycling and the best one http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...on-CO2-methods good luck!!!!!!!!!!

post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

^ thanks, got some good info from the non CO2 thread, by Tom Barr.

So I screened the soil, and replaced what I had with this.

I added a thin layer of peat and then about an inch of the screened soil, capped by the silica sand.

I plan on planting it today, I am literally going to stuff it with plants from my 75 gallon tank.

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
im loving that!

post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
That stump is a killer piece!
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
I love that stump!! HAND IT OVER!!
This should be an interesting experiment. I was considering using regular soil to set up my tank at one point, but there were so many possible problems that I eventually decided just to pick up some Eco-Complete and play it safe. I didn't want to risk killing off my shrimp.
Also, I would be afraid of the peat moss affecting the PH of the tank as well as making it look like tea.
Good luck with it! You are off to a fantastic start already, just because of your stump, haha.

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

^^^Thanks! I searched high and low trying to find the right stump so I am glad my effort is appreciated!

I just added a dash of peat on the bottom. I read that a peat layer is good for these tanks but I was a little concerned so I just lightly sprinkled a bit. I doubt it is enough to do anything. Especially with an inch of soil and an inch of sand over top.

EDIT: dammit I just spent 45 minutes planting the tank, and was halfway filled up when the stump decided to float... grrrrr. I had actually drilled it with a 1" bit about 4" deep and stuffed it with rocks. I thought it would weigh it down enough...guess I should have tested it first. Stupid mistake. Anyways so now the stump is submerged in a bucket. I will have to empty the tank out yet again and lay some more soil and sand. I think I will keep the plants planted until i am ready to set up the stump again.

Last edited by tharsis; 05-16-2011 at 01:12 AM.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

so my wood is still soaking, I imagine it will take ~4-5 days. I am thinking of ditching the glosso and doing a dry start HC.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode