My New 10 gallon-Advice Please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My New 10 gallon-Advice Please

Hi everyone. Just setup my first planted tank last weekend. I initially was trying to do a low-tech setup without CO2 or Excel. After doing a ton of online reading I'm still not totally sure what I'm doing here. lol
It seems that I like higher light plants and didn't really do my plant research admittedly before I bought them. So far, the stem plants are not looking too good. Kinda brown and wilty looking compared to how they looked at the store.The baby tears also are getting a little brown. My setup:
Aprox. 10 gallon glass tank with Marineland HOB filter
JBJ 25w Macro-Glo clamp on light
2in. Flourite sand over 1in. of Peat

My questions:

Do I need more plant Bio-Mass?
In order to keep the stems I chose happy and healthy do I have to dose Excel or setup CO2?
Is what I'm seeing now just part of the acclimation process for the plants, will they perk up after a couple weeks?
If I go with excel or CO2 should I begin dosing right away?
Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 AM
Planted Member

Tank looks great! Baby tears are a higher light plant. 25 watts is plenty for a 10 gallon with those plants. I would dose a little excel if it were me but I run high tech. Keep it up! Also the plants have to get used to there new environment. They should shape up in a month or so.

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoStrokeKing View Post
Tank looks great! Baby tears are a higher light plant. 25 watts is plenty for a 10 gallon with those plants. I would dose a little excel if it were me but I run high tech. Keep it up! Also the plants have to get used to there new environment. They should shape up in a month or so.
Thanks! I think I need to just chill and be patient with it for a while. If I decided to do excel dosing or DIY CO2 do you think it's best to start now or should I wait 3-4 weeks for the plants to acclimate and tank to cycle?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 AM
Algae Grower

the parva and HC could definately have been grown emersed(above water) so to get them used to the underwater enviroment, probably why they look not the greatest, you should immediately start with CO2 as this helps them transition easier.. plants get ton of co2 from air, but its much harder to get them how much they want underwater...

I have found Excell to be more of a algae deterant than a replacement for co2, think of it more as a suppliment to the co2... for example my plants grow just as fast without dosing excell but my algae starts peakiing its ugly head, but if I cutout co2, I see a definate decline in plant growth, as well as increased algae if the tank is running high light...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
The only problem is, all that surface agitation from the marineland might put DIY co2 efforts to waste.

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
The only problem is, all that surface agitation from the marineland might put DIY co2 efforts to waste.
There is very little surface agitation. I keep the water level very high...
Anyway. I've decided to start excel dosing based on what I've read on the Barr Report site. We'll see how it goes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode