10 Gallon Work Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
10 Gallon Work Tank

Hi! I'm new here but I've been around the hobby for about 20 years. I started in my teens keeping swordtails and over the years graduated to a 38 gallon corner reef tank with DIY LED lighting I recently got the bug to start with swordtails again and a couple of the people on the reef forum I frequent talk about The Planted Tank, so here I am.

I started with a Marineland 10 gallon LED kit. The kit was 25% off and the manager of the Petsmart swore the LEDs could grow plants. I know LEDs pretty well and they looked like 1 watt LEDs so I jumped in. I bought a bag of flourite, a nice piece of driftwood and a background and set it up at work on my desk. I soaked the driftwood for about a week, changing the water nightly. My co-worker is sort of co-owner of this tank and he has some petrified wood that he got from his Dad so that went in too. I let the tank cycle with some old water from a ciclid tank for a week before adding a male and three female fancy guppies. I traded a large leather coral in to my LFS and he's supposed to be getting me some nice Red Tuxedo hi-fin swordtails too. For plants I started with a Java fern, then a few days later picked up an anubias nana and a moneywort. All this time, I'm thinking these LEDs don't look bright enough to my eyes but I'm comparing them to reef lights so I let it go a couple days. My plants started to look wilty so I switched the hood to an older dual screw in AGA hood with a pair of 13 w 6500K CFL bulbs. That was three days ago. Today, my nana is growing new leaves and my fern has O2 bubbles coming out of it I'm hooked! I'm not liking the moneywort very much so I may trade that out for something different. Ideas and criticism are appreciated! Here's a crappy iPhone pic.

Last edited by Dragonfish; 05-17-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I found a snail that hitchiked in on a plant today. Can anyone tell me if it's a friend or foe?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks great. What are those rocks doing at the back of the tank?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thats just the vinyl background. all my saltwater tanks have had solid blue or black backgrounds so I wanted something a bit nicer this time. I actually picked it becuase it looks like there is java fern on it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like common pond snail. They can breed pretty quick but stay small. Up to you if you want snails or not.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

These snails can get out of control pretty quickly. I prefer Nerite snails because they don't breed in freshwater and I can better control the population, but it is really just a preference.

I have one tank with these snails and a couple of assassin snails that keep the numbers down as another population control option.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish View Post
I found a snail that hitchiked in on a plant today. Can anyone tell me if it's a friend or foe?
Smash it with your thumb!!! I rebuilt one of my tanks from the ground up a couple of weeks ago because the snails got too much.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don't worry, he's sleeping with the fishes now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I added 10 RCS, and my guppies added something of their own I lost one female my male for no apparent reason, but now I have 8 more baby guppies of various sizes swimming around I also got a new camera so I'll post some nicer pictures monday. My Java Fern keeps sprouting plantlets and the annubias has 2 new leaves but the moneri looks like crap so I'll probably pull that out. I'd like to replace it with a hygro difformis.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode