Fluval flora-my first ever tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Fluval flora-my first ever tank!

Hey y'all!
ive been wandering around this site for some time now picking up oodles of info and finally decided to put it into action and purchased a Fluval flora (on sale woot!). im just gonna be using my tap water because its about ph 7.4 and my kh is about 4 and just dechlorinating.
my buddy (essentialy got me into this) is gonna provide me with some of his tank water so my amonia cycle is fast and also with some "it looks like java fern and grows like a weed". my plan is to have the "java fern" in the back with some hornwart and then progress into a few dwarf anubis and then into a dwarf HG carpet. i also got a amazing piece of drift wood that im soaking right now that i wana cover in java moss.
do you guys think the 13wt light the flora came with will be able to provide the light perams. i need for these plants?
oh and stocking wise i was gonna go with 4-5 guppies and eventually once everything gets stable cherry shrimp.
am i missing anything? i guess im just really nervous about screwing up haha.
any help is greatly apreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Akira
I to am curious if the light will be sufficient. I plan on growing HC immersed. I have a 160watt T5HO I could put over this but I think it would be a bit overkill and I have plans for that light.

Somone mentioned a light different post and if I happen to run into any issues I might pick that one up and use it solo or in conjunction with the 13W. However I can't seem to find the link anymore. It's shaped just like the 13W but its 26 watt..arr I hate that I didnt save it..

Edit: found it!
http://www.amazon.com/CL26SL-D65-Aqu...4902066&sr=1-2

I also ripped off that foam background thing as I found it extremely tacky and removed the silicone with a razor blade..

Eheim Pimp #292

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

awesome!!! i will check that light out if the 13 isnt enough, and yah at the moment i left the "rock wall" on but i will probably take it off later. i saw a thing where someone inserted moss into the wall and it looked pretty cool.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Word! Yeah I saw that too and thought it was pretty well done but I looked at this at the LFS and thought "Cheap ADA"

Eheim Pimp #292

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hahaha exactly :P
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Tank water is going to do you nothing in terms of cycling the tank. Ask for some of the filter media from your friends tank. The bacteria is within that, and on all surfaces in the tank, not the water

The flora is a good little tank I LOVE mine. The light that comes with the tank is good for low and med. light tanks. I replaced mine with a 26 watt CFL fixture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If he's just going to give you water have him rince out one of the sponges from his filter into the water, that might help. I'd go with the 26w in the amazon.com link. I've had my fluval Flora running a few months and my Downoi was doing good for a while but now is starting to not do well. I've been hoping to find the link for the 26w some where and now i can order on for my tank.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Glad I could help swoof!

Eheim Pimp #292

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Algae Grower

In my Flora, I have java fern, java moss, three different anubias, wisteria, and a ton of corkscrew vals (which grow like WEEDS in there). I'm using the light that came with the tank. I did add some root tabs (Flourish). All of my plants are healthy, happy, and reproducing. It's the dwarf HG carpet that I bet is going to want more light...which is why I avoid trying to grow "carpets."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My buddy was replacing his filter (it was super old and about to just die) so he essentially washed everything on the filter material into a container for me. ive also decided against a carpet, im just going for a nice thick jungle with some openings and stuff hahaha. yesterday i got the plants i have so far planted, super excited to get more haha
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK then! friday i will be getting amazon sword, frogbit and some duckweed also the plant i got from a friend is lace java fern. next i just want some hornwort and then i need to stock some fish :P
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 AM

haha im the friend that got him into this i dont hava planted tank yet but i am going to make one here soon i have alot of fresh and slat water tho "like 550 gallons" and i want to make a nano planted for now then maybe a 55 in a while.

but i have a 30g has a few plants in it that i want more semi planted with some cichlids in it.
i was thinking for now seting up a 10g planted nano tho what do you all think?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoof View Post
If he's just going to give you water have him rince out one of the sponges from his filter into the water, that might help.
that what i did to get him up and cycling
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyzkid View Post
haha im the friend that got him into this i dont hava planted tank yet but i am going to make one here soon i have alot of fresh and slat water tho "like 550 gallons" and i want to make a nano planted for now then maybe a 55 in a while.

but i have a 30g has a few plants in it that i want more semi planted with some cichlids in it.
i was thinking for now seting up a 10g planted nano tho what do you all think?
wat

Eheim Pimp #292

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
wat
wat what?
haha im confused

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode