My 10g planted and Betta decor setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 10g planted and Betta decor setup

So after couple of weeks of gathering all i need to start my fishtanks i did this:
10g planning to have ferns and mosses tank, waiting for plants to arrive from aquaticmagic. Meanwhile i planted it with some fastgrowers that i could get from local (100km away) petstore, bettas came from there too.
So i have put in there sand from atlantic ocean, wood i found on the beach and some rock, added tap water, water prep and ferts (excel, iron, flourish) for plants, for the light i have 2 clip-on lamps with compacts 26W 6500K, one gives white light other blue-white 8 hrs a day for now, it also has night led moon light, filtration does Finnex 360 canister filter.
Water is cristal clear from day 1! Wasnt cloudy at all.
And here come the pictures

Now Betta setup:
I bought 3 bowls - 2 round flat profile ones and small round spheric one, added decorative glass rocks and bettas, this is how it came out:

I plan of getting little table lamp for this setup, couldnt find yet in stores what im looking for. Except that I love how it looks! Fish seems to be swimming in same bowl while they are separate of course. May be add some bamboo stems, i dont know, for me it looks to be incomplete yet.

In a week i hope ill get my plants and my 10 g will start looking more attractive.

By the way, any tips to reduce the flow from the filter? Its too strong, betta is getting blown away and the plants dont really need it that strong too. There is something like a control on the filter top but it does nothing when i twist it.

I have 4g on the waiting too, once i have enough of plants to put in ill do some nice little thing, i have found great piece of wood that looks like a Chinese house.

Im open to critic and advice, so feel free to write
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

oh well, seems like new people (or girls) are getting ignored on this forum... shame
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like it! Like you said, once you get your real plants, it'll look nicer but it already does! Also, I'm ordering plants from AquaticMagic tomorrow!!! Love the wood!!
I'm not sure I understand what you want to do with the bowls though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5G Hex Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

I like the larger tank, but am also unsure about the bowls. I hope you aren't planning on keeping the bettas in there forever?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bettas seems to be doing fine in that bowls, at least they are way better in them then they were in the pet shop, they lived in tiny mayo bottles with 2 inches of water in them

I change water completely once a week and add Sachem Prime in it. I like how they look in that bowls, trying to scare and get each other
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, but dont keep the betta in there foreever... Trust me, he will die!! (Learnt the hard way)...

Good luck!

2.5G Hex Tank
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I kept bettas in 1 gal jars just fine for a few years. They do better in 5 gal- 20 gal. As long as they stay warm 70F or higher and get weekly 100% wc they will be fine.

The planted tank I think looks good some moss on the upper branch would look great I think. Maybe a few more plants. It's off to a good start.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake311 View Post
I kept bettas in 1 gal jars just fine for a few years. They do better in 5 gal- 20 gal. As long as they stay warm 70F or higher and get weekly 100% wc they will be fine.

The planted tank I think looks good some moss on the upper branch would look great I think. Maybe a few more plants. It's off to a good start.
Thanks!
Thats what im planning to do, tie moss on that branch, make a carpet, put some pelia hills and stick anubias, fern here and there.

And its always warm here, its Dominican Republic
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
I don't know what happened to palufreak's bettas, but mine have been perfectly fine in a 1 gallon bowl. I have even kept a betta in a wide-mouthed mason jar, when I broke his bowl. He did fine.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sure, a betta can survive in a bowl. However, the key word is survive. That is all that they will do and their lives WILL be cut short even with regular water changes. They thrive best in 5 gallons or more of water that is heated and filtered with a low current. I personally would never house any fish in a disgusting fish bowl as I view that as being cruel.

Remember, a healthy and happy betta that is well taken care of and housed in a proper tank with heat and a low current filter will live for 5-6 years. A betta that is kept in a bowl will live for 3 years max and most likely get fin rot from bad water parameters if the water is not changed every day.

Betta Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Last edited by TheCrabbyTabby; 05-09-2011 at 07:18 PM. Reason: adding info
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you TheCrabbyTabby!! You just proved my point!

Mine was in a 0.5G AT FIRST!! I did water change every week and he SEEMED happy but still died!

Then I got a 1G with plastic plants!! Again, I did wc once a week, and again, he SEEMED happy but died after 6-7months!

Also, I agree with CrabbyTabby that it is cruel, but I wasn't registered on this forum and I never even though about doing some research! I just listened to what employees at PetSmart had to say and did that!
Now, I probably never will put anything in there unless it's shrimps and snails!!!

I don't know why stores don't just say the truth about Bettas... They would make more money if people had to buy bigger tanks, heaters, filters and everythimg else they need instead of the little 10$ kits!!!!

Back on topic now!

2.5G Hex Tank
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
Oh, right. I always forget that I do cleanings differently than everyone else. That might be why. My bad!

edit: I agree about putting them in a larger space if you can. It is better for them to have more space and the fish will love it. I have had mine in a bowl, because that was all I could do at the time.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.

Last edited by ValMM; 05-10-2011 at 01:25 PM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And this is fish im trying to grow for my 10g - Notobranchius, i got eggs from ebay, there were 50 eggs of different N., i succeeded to get 8 fishes that are growing, i feed them artemia

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
anyone with more experience care to comment on the use of actual beach sand? I was strongly advised not to use beach sand in my tanks because of the natural salt not playing nice with freshwater fish. Please inquire about this more and get some responses from people who know their stuff because this may be a bad thing..

The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

-RETIRED

- 06/2012

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeah, I would tend to agree with you, demonr6. Beach sand is loaded with marine salt and that can spell bad things for fish and inverts who are sensitive to the slightest bit of salt in their water. Also, who knows what kind of bacteria and such are living in it? If I had a marine tank set up, I would bake the sand first and then use it, though I simply wouldn't risk using such sand for any fresh water fish or invert.

I would also caution against using driftwood from the beach unless you bake/nuke them to remove any parasites. bacteria and small critters calling it home. Wouldn't want to introduce anything bad into the tank water. That and they are loaded with marine salt and beach sand.

If I were doing this, I would have bought my driftwood from a store so I know that its been cleaned properly and then used aquarium gravel or a sand I know is safe for the substrate.

Betta Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Tags
10g, finnex, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode