Untended window garden - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Untended window garden

So I'm not really sure where to post this, nano or low-tech, but decided nano was just fine. I just wanted to post some pics for people to check out.

Last year when I started my ten gallon planted tank I had left over Amazonia II soil and added it to a glass candle-holder my roommate had laying around. I threw some sticks in there and some trimmings from my 10 gallon and left it near my window to see what happened. Needless to say it's way healthier than my 10 gallon

I tosses some glass shrimp in there a couple weeks ago, most jumped out, some had babies and they're somewhere in there wondering through the thicket. I tried to take pictures of them but my camera's screen is broken and it didn't work out. I also have an algae eater in there now while my 10 gallon is recovering from a crash.

Anyways, enjoy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
looks a little small for the oto...so be aware that you may find him on the floor eventually unless he's really lucky. He does look like he has tons to eat though, and nice container overall, I like it!
cherry shrimp would like this!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That is lovely.

It is amazing what you can do with some nice substrate and a little light.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Does it ever smell stagnant w/out a filter?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
Does it ever smell stagnant w/out a filter?
Not at all! In fact in the late afternoon when it gets direct sunlight like in the pictures it begins producing copious amounts of oxygen. Small streams of bubbles are constantly rising with larger bubbles rising to the top every now and then. It never smells, has never gotten dirty. I've never cleaned it, just give it more water when the water level gets low.

The oto is in there for a short period of time. I had a big bacteria bloom last week in my 10 gal after disturbing the soil and all the fish except for the oto were dead. He was lying on his back twitching on the substrate. So I pulled him out and threw him in the window bowl and he was instantly better. He'll be in there until the 10 gal is safe again. So far he just chills on the side or on a stick.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

this is definitely better than a nuked 10 gallon o_o good call.
I was simply referring to keeping him in there long term.

So this thing is not sunlit? You use a lightbulb?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

haha yeah I definitely wouldn't keep a fish in there, way too small. No, I don't have any lights on it, just natural sunlight. It's completely energy neutral.

I think I may put some RC shrimp in there this summer. I had some in my 10 gallon, but they slowly disapeared. I would always find babies in my neon tetra's mouths.... not sure if they were hunted down or just got sucked into the filter or something. I may restock them once my tank is stable and I get my DIY LED fixture over it.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
what are the temps like in the sunlight?

GONE HUNTING
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sunlit vessels are fascinating
I am currently trying to keep a saltwater marina cubus tank running on only sunlight.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Sunlit vessels are fascinating
I am currently trying to keep a saltwater marina cubus tank running on only sunlight.
good luck!!! i recently failed with a 5'' cube reef! talk about hair algae!!! my biocube is gorgeous tho

GONE HUNTING
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt12 View Post
what are the temps like in the sunlight?
I haven't every taken the temperature, and it's probably different now that the sun has been down for a few hours. I've felt it before, and it never felt hot. Being inside probably keeps it cool and it only gets direct sunlight for 1-3? hours a day, the rest of the day it is just radiant light.

I am thinking about putting a small super low tech reef aquarium next to it powered by LEDs and maybe a small pump for circulation. I want to try LEDs with some natural sunlight and see how that does on polyps and mushrooms and the like. Such a small tank would be too unstable for sps though. I bet an emerald crab take care of any hair algae in there!
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig'em View Post
I haven't every taken the temperature, and it's probably different now that the sun has been down for a few hours. I've felt it before, and it never felt hot. Being inside probably keeps it cool and it only gets direct sunlight for 1-3? hours a day, the rest of the day it is just radiant light.

I am thinking about putting a small super low tech reef aquarium next to it powered by LEDs and maybe a small pump for circulation. I want to try LEDs with some natural sunlight and see how that does on polyps and mushrooms and the like. Such a small tank would be too unstable for sps though. I bet an emerald crab take care of any hair algae in there!
go for it! on aquabid theres a guy selling green neon shrimp. they are really cool. ive got 12 in my 29g biocube. they only get about 1/2'' and will breed like cherry shrimp do ! no larval stage! just keep it covered to keep evapoartion down and top offf with R/O ONLY!

GONE HUNTING
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sweet, thanks matt12, I'll check it out now
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

emerald crabs are champions for most type of algae, so yes they would clean that right up, but they do need more water volume than that. I keep mine in my 3 gallon reef and most people do say that is too small for them. IMO its decent.

They put out a lot of waste though. still they will clean up any algae that grows as a result of that waste so the tank wouldn't look bad in their presence. they cannot clean glass very well though, so the glass in a 5" cube with an emerald would have to be cleaned very often.

Mushrooms are probably the best bet for sunlit reef that small. I will soon put in some mushrooms into my cubus to test out its reef capabilities haha. so far i've been keeping it bare sand and rock with macro algae.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Algae Grower

what kind of plants do you have in there?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode