My tank isn't overstocked, is it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
My tank isn't overstocked, is it?

It's a Fluval Ebi, 7.9 gallons; it's stocked with 8 PFRs, 4 Amanos, 3 Endler juvies/fry, and one Olive Nerite. Stock filter. No ammonia when I test... So. It's not overstocked, right? Just wanted opinions. For full specs, clickt my sig. Thanks a lot guys! And PLEASE comment on my journal in my sig. Thanks a TON!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Someone on this forum linked to this site/tool:

AqAdvisor

Really handy to give you a basic idea, more of a rule of thumb thing but usefull as a guideline. I'd have no problem with it telling me I was 25% or so overstocked as I over-filter and keep up with water changes. I'm actually well understocked at the moment anyway. Hope you find it usefull.

James

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Yeah, I've used aquadvisor, it's okay. But what I really wanted was opinions from real human hobbyists. But thanks anyway James! Anyone else?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
While Aqadvisor is ok, there are still quite a bit of information that would need to be in place to get an accurate measure of stocking levels. For one, it states that glowlight tetras are not compatible with GBR's..... Well, every other bit of information that I have access to states that they are a compatible species. And my GBR ignores my glowlights entirely lol.

As long as the fish in your tank are not overly aggressive with each other, healthy, and your water levels are in check you are fine.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
AqAdvisor is based on opinions of many fish-keepers from many different fish forums, and the author's real life friends, so it can be a bit accurate. However it is just a general guide, and individual situations might be different.

If you think that your tank looks overstocked (mass amounts of algae growing, inhabitants look like they are out of room, cramped, jumping shrimp/fish, sick shrimp/fish, nitrate readings higher than 20ppm) then it might be in your interest to remove at least the larger inhabitants.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
If you think that your tank looks overstocked (mass amounts of algae growing, inhabitants look like they are out of room, cramped, jumping shrimp/fish, sick shrimp/fish, nitrate readings higher than 20ppm) then it might be in your interest to remove at least the larger inhabitants.
It's getting late and I'm multitasking. I just read this part of it and didn't see the "If you think that" part. I thought you wrote "I think that your tank looks very overstocked (mass amounts of algae growing...)" LOL

I was very offended until I saw what it really said haha. But if you really do want to judge my tank, there are some pics in my thread. And it's nothing like that LMAO

PS the shrimp bowl is going well Newman! Keep up the good work!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

rofl glad you didnt think i was bashing your tank. I'll take a look at it now. And Thanks!

EDIT: Ok i looked at it and it seems like it would be fine. 1st of all i can't really see any crowding at all (endlers weren't even spotted) so that must mean that you have the room to let your shrimp pop grow out nicely.

Once that foreground is complete with lush plants the shrimp will really have a good time feeling secure in the carpet. The tank can welcome more plant mass but as i said when the foreground grows in your tank will be in top shape IMO.

Also you have 2 female otos. at least one appears to be more female than the other, but males are usually smaller than females too, so I am 90% sure both of yours are female. Just in case you needed to know that information for anything haha xD

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Great! Thanks a ton Newman!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Glad to help =)

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Honestly, those fish should be given more room to swim. You also have to consider that the tank is full of plants that take away swimming room.
For any kind of schooling fish, you should stick with a minimum of 20 gallons.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd imagine they will be once they grow up, so all we're really talking about are the shrimp and the snail, and the otos which look fine right now. Endler fry are very small so they are proportioned to this tank's size right now. They are not schooling fish like tetras/rasboras either(which have been put in tanks with less gallons than this one).

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Exactly. They are NOT schooling fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode