Moss showing signs of browning, need advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Moss showing signs of browning, need advice

I have a two week old tank and I am experiencing some issues with the moss I have tied off to the stump in the tank browning heavily. The tank is fairly planted, I would say medium. It is soil based Miracle Grow Organic with a sand cap, no heater, filtered, no CO2. The tank receives 10 hours of light from a 13 W PCF 7100k light just above the water level. This is the light that came with the tank so it is not something I bought after market. I know the 7100k is not the best, I ordered replacement bulbs but I was not able to find them local so I have to wait for them to come from overseas. Lord only knows that may take two months. The tank sites on a west exposure and receives diffused light throughout the day as well.

For the most part all of the other plants in the tank seem to be doing okay. The aponogenton got a little ragged but I think that was it just acclimating. All the others, crypt wendtii, bacopa, dwarf baby tears and pigmy chain sword are doing okay. I have an anubias that is starting to get some funky brown on the leaves.. Since the stupid ghost shrimp I initially seeded the tank with all but died except for two there is nothing in there but those two and a lonely small olive nerite snail. I check the water params every day and everything is fine across the board. I am not dosing at the moment but I did order the medium tech + package from Pfertz (plug for forum sponsor).

Being that it is not planted and attached to the stump is it something I am lacking in the water? Since there is no fauna am I not providing enough nutrients and such for the plants to make it?? It is a lot of plants for a small tank and without anything in there making a mess I am not sure if that is causing it. If anyone has suggestions or ideas what might be going on with the moss I would appreciate the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
the light K rating sounds fine to me.
Teh moss will appreciate cooler water (around 75F or as low as fish/invert choice allows, but 70F is low enough i think) and stable water conditions (messing around with the tank alot or polluting the water might effect the moss more than other plants.)
Can we have a picture of the moss and its location? Is anything picking it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Other than one water change I made a few days ago I pretty much let the tank be. I had five ghost shrimp in there but three are no longer with us. They were pretty much doomed from day one because every shrimp from PetSmart I get ends up dead or commits suicide. The first one that died was one that the lady dropped and spent five minutes trying to pick up and put in the bag. She did not count it because I told her I didn't want it after she did all that to it.

There is a small olive nerite that I put in there last week as tank cleanup and he is going about doing his thing.

I have never spotted any of them on the moss at all.

Thanks for your help!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

there's a moss wall now too?
and damn that moss went brown real fast huh...I can't tell what type of moss is on the upper part of the DW but the other moss is pretty picky about water, maybe it didnt like yours?

Can you save any of the moss, try to grow it emersed then reintroduce it later?

Or you could just leave it in there and see if it ever sprouts green again =/
Or try different species of moss. java and christmas moss are good bets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Fissidens and flame.. I hope it likes the water again because that wall.. its flame. That would be really bad if it dislikes this water. I will have to resort to getting bottled spring or whatever I have to do to sort this out. That is a lot of moss and a lot of work to have it all go south on me. Funny because I thought the dwarf baby tears were more sensitive and it seems to be doing really well I think?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

it is so strange that the flame moss would burn out like that...did you buy it when it was fresh and deep green? I hope your moss wall fares better.
the HC is doing good. It wont do very good though unless it can reach that soil layer. in a few weeks the roots should grow in and reach, if not then you'll have to help it reach.
spring water is a drastic move, your water is probably fine for plants, the moss may just be an dd case.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The moss arrived green, I can't say for sure if it was fresh and deep green but it looked healthy for sure. At least it wasn't brown... LOL Fingers crossed for this wall. That fixture gives out 13 W @ 7100 k, I hope that is not the cause? I have 6500 k coming in.. from Hong Kong so if that is the case I can bank on dead moss by the time it arrives.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Moss will usually bounce back. I had a low light tank that I introduced moss to. The moss was brown for a couple months and I was thinking of pulling it but it began to grow some green fronds. 3 months later, it was as green as when I started.

-Charlie

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yes it may be able to revive. 7100K is fine plant light.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
So what has happened with the moss?

I am thinking that potassium sulfate will help it. Brightwell aquatics has FlorinK which is a great source for it. Here can get it with no shipment charge.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode