Anacharis, guys! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anacharis, guys!

I have a 2 gallon (maybe slightly under) with a female betta in it. There is 2 fake plants that she loooves to swim through and sleep in and want to get her anacharis SUPER DUPER bad. I know she'd be in heaven!

I just don't know if it'd survive! Below I'll have super simple version for those who don't want to read everything in-depth and then below that I'll have in depth.

SUPER SIMPLE:
-Low lighting with holes in lid for lighting on top
-Will be left floating
-No fertilizer/Co2
-Tank has airstone & filter
-Tank holds 1 fish that's it
-Constant, constant, constant water changes
-78*-82*
-Never any ammonia, nitrates, nor nitrites due to water changes
-Hard water!
-Average alkalinity sometimes gets high, though (doesn't affect pH)
-pH is 6.5-7.8

IN DEPTH:
The tank gets some daylight (not like direct sun, but daylight) and has a high room light exposure. It lights up her tank, but this is most definitely classified as LOW LIGHTING. Thing is, it's a Kritter Keeper therefore the light gets straight to the top of the water.

Here we go, it would be kept floating. No fertilizer, no CO2. I'm wondering though, if because it the tank is so small will my fish produce a modest amount of Co2 for the plant?? She's just a tiny baby though...

I do constant water changes because the tank is so small.

WATER IS WARM!! Like 82-84*. If I put in cooler water will it strive in 78*-82* water? I've heard of it mushing up and "melting" in warm water... How warm is too warm??

Has an inside filter as well. This thing has an airstone attached and bubbles like crazy. But I know there's tons of oxygen in the tank. Also some bio classes let me know this is good for the plant!

Water is HARD. No where near soft. Also, very low levels of ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites due to it being small with very frequent water changes. All of them are generally non-existant. Obviously no chlorine. pH is around 6.4-7.8. It has an average alkalinity but can get high but this doesn't affect pH because of... FREQUENT WATER CHANGES!

Thanks Guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I have, erm, had anarchis in another soil based tank that did not have a tank heater. I think the temp never gets above 78 in that tank. It all melted and fell apart to a pile of goo. The stems are left behind as a reminder though.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would give it a shot and see what happens. Anacharis can be a very hardy plant. When I first setup my tank it had low lights, no CO2 and no nutrients. My anacharis still grew. Now that I have high lighting, CO2 and some nutrients I cant get the stuff to stop growing. (literally like 3 inches a day) I'm gonna have to remove it all since it grows so fast.

Also if you plan on just floating the plant I think it would do even better. Possibly getting some CO2 from the atmosphere and it will be closer to the light source.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Anacharis is a very hardy plant but it is considered a cold water plant and does not do as well in warmer waters. I would think with your temps it will melt pretty quickly. It thrives in the low 70's, but anything above 75 will not be very good for it IMO.

Another option for a fast growing plant could be water wisteria/hygro difformis, it is also a low light fast grower and will spread rapidly on the surface and will liekly handle the warmer temperatures better.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
My tanks usually stay in the high 60's and 70's. The anacharis in my tanks grow about 3 inches a week. My 5 gallon tank has sand, a heater, no filter, and 3 panda corys. My 1 gallon bowl has sand, no filter, no heater, and 1 betta splenden.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Buy a stem and see how it does!

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
yes just try it out. when i first started the planted thing I kept my tank at around 78F and the anacharis did very well. The important thing is that it needs flourescent light or CFL in the daylight spectrum.

Floating is IMO the best way to grow it anyway, it will do fine in low light.
Try to clean up any melted portions when you see them.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
You sure you are set on anacharis?
You could do moss tied on a couple of sticks, najas grass, ect?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have some anacharis in upper 70s tanks and it's fine. Some of those only receive ambient room light as well. I also put a few foot long stems of it in a tub outside last month (upper 70s - low 80s water temp) and they are all over 3 feet long now. There are a few different species that are all basically labeled as anacharis or elodea, and I believe they have different tolerances. I don't have any directly collected from the wild here, but it does grow wild here.

" border="0" />

Clubs are lame Club #1
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Planted Member

Anacharis is like a weed it grows anywhere. Go for it!

No Fear, Take No Prisoners, Leave No Survivors.

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode