Finnex 4 almost done - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Finnex 4 almost done

Nearly complete. I was waiting on some moss to arrive that I purchased thanks to a forum member. After work today I set to tying and super gluing it to the stump that was waiting eagerly to get into service. Also the acrylic tubes that I bought from someone on another forum came in today so I dismantled the Zoo Med canister and plugged these bad boys in. Boy they are sweet, this is some good work that I know would have been a DIY nightmare of epic proportions if I tried it. Some things are best left to the guys that are good at it, and this is one of those instances.

My black background is actually a rice paper window film that I had left over which I painted from the backside in black. It gives it a nice look, much better in person so take my word on it please.

I need to figure out that right rear corner as I am not feelin it. It needs something taller back there but I don't know what. I hate the idea of having to drain this down again to replant but I am not completely happy with it because of that.

The stupid ghost shrimp I got from PetSmart a few days ago have not eaten since day one and they are in their death throes. The tank is cycled even though it is only a week old. I had a filter bag with a 50/50 mix of existing and new Fluval biomax fermenting in the filter of my oldest tank for this occasion. I dropped it into the canister of my Zoo Med 501 Friday evening and ran it for two days prior to adding the shrimp that are all but a memory now. The olive nerite snail though is happy go lucky and doing his thing. The Celestial Pearl Danios I thought I won on AB fell through because someone swooped in while I was out running errands on Sunday afternoon winning the auction leaving me high and dry.

I have been testing the tank every other day and everything reads zero across the board except the nitrites which are just about at the 5 ppm mark. The pH though has been my battle in this as well as all my tanks since the water here stinks. I have a Kinetico water system and get my tank water just after the filters but before it hits the salt tank. It's softer water but better than what I had before it was installed.. that was awful then. Everything is in my tank journal, this is just the final cut.

Comments always welcome, be gentle, I am new at this still and learning.

~d

Drop checker, inlet & outlet pipes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks good. Maybe put the intake and out take of the filter to the side?

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like it! Those pipes are awesome too, I could use some like that for my 2.5g..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I will most likely move the intake to the right side when I have that sorted out that way they will both be stealth. I have the outlet in the middle for pic show for now. I can't say enough about how nice these pipes are hockey9999, the guy does good work. Hit me up when you are ready or you want his contact info and I will pass it along to you.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think it looks good, I love Finnex tanks. It's hard to go wrong with one.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

For a tank only $19 you cannot beat that. Since most like to go with their own lights and filtration choices it makes the most sense really. I liked the look of the light that came with this particular kit, whether it passes the test of time is another story. My beef with this light it that stock is a 7100k which is not the greatest for these plants. I ordered some off eBay that are in the 6500k range. The downside is that they are from HK so I can expect them to arrive sometime in September.. you know, the overseas shipping nightmare. I wish I could have sourced them locally.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Zac
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
May I ask why you didn't go with the PX360?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I did look at that tank in fact. It was priced very reasonable but two things made me go for the ZM. First was that the PX-360 albeit having great specs is way too much filter for my small 4 gallon setup. It is rated at 95 gph, the ZM is only 79 but even that I think is a little harsh in this tank. I am thinking of somehow managing the flow to lower it down a tad. Second, it's big.. hella big if you look at the side by side they have of the 360 v. 501. I look at the 501 next to my tank and go wow, that is big, I can imagine the 360 would be nearly as big as my tank. I like the cost of the 360 and I am sure it is a great product but it is too much for this little tank, now my 5 or 6 gallon tanks I am considering the 360 as an upgrade to the HOB filters.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I like this tank! I especially like the piece of wood. What's the plant in the front left?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Front left is a little anubias nana petite I have had since December in another tank. I was going to attach it to the stump on the ankle (forgive me for using the foot example but this thing reminds me of one) but I chose the moss route instead.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode