Newman's Shrimp Bowl II - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Newman's Shrimp Bowl II

This bowl was created for the purpose of moving all the cherry shrimp from the original shrimp bowl so as to not cramp the crystal reds that are living in there now.

So in this bowl cherry shrimp will continue to be bred.
It is a bit of an experiment to see if the shrimp will breed in a tank w/o much plants to supply oxygen. of course i do intend to include floating plants, but idk how much those will help.

The bowl will be primarily hardscaped. the scape is not final, and I will gladly take suggestions on how to make it look better.

And yes the twig is part of the scape lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2931.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	30798  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Newman; 05-10-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
You've done a great job melding those rocks into the shape of the bowl!

I would just lighting up on the pebbles. Keep them more concentrated in the corners (like you did), but less in between the rocks. Not in love with the vertical twig maybe play around with the twigs some more horizontally not vertically.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the twig was very experimental, i wonder if it would look any better if i cut off that thicker top portion with the fork at the very top. maybe then it would looks normal? or do you think i should scrap the whole "twig out of water" idea and cut the twig to size and submerge it completely?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
I like it a lot! I think you should use a small grasslike plant to outline the rocks and the path between them. Maybe DHG? Crypt Parva would look nice in the back. And of course, MOSS!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for dropping by!
I really would like to keep this bowl hardscaped for the most part. I think the 1st shrimp bowl accomplishes the whole plant thing better than this thing could. Plus i just want to see if shrimp can live in such a bowl, w/o much help from plants..

As far as the substrate goes, there was a suggestion to clear the inter-rock areas of gravel and leave just sand, and concentrate the gravel in the corners of the bowl.
Would that be a better choice over just adding much more gravel in to cover the whole substrate, having less sand visible?

I tried to do a sort of rivery feel to this tank.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Very nice, it's a different look that you don't see every day.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks =)

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
I don't know how you keep your bowls so clean without pumping some air in. I tried to do something similar. Packed a vase with vals and ludwiga and aquasoil.....got a big vase of algae and cyano bacteria in a month.....ended up trashing the whole thing...
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

same here except i did not give up at the cyano stage. you have top keep going with your maintenance or up the maintenance a bit and the algaes will retreat. namely cyano. idk whats going on with the cladophora in the shrimp bowl atm, but it looks peaceful so its fine with me right now :P

This second bowl might get cyano too (all of my tanks so far have including SW) but i am sure there is a way around it.
I *think* a toothbrush should work in this bowl as it has worked in the first shrimp bowl to keep the glass somewhat cleaner =)

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Shrimpsanity

haha...icic...I was hella lazy and only topped water never changed it....

I was trying a Natura/Walstad/self contained eco something....big FAIL
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

lol nice. in small volumes its tougher to do probably. I found that frequent large water changes are very helpful in keeping the tank and shrimp healthy. But i suppose the ultimate evidence of that being true will be supported only after i see my crystal shrimp grow up and breed in that bowl.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Shrimpsanity

That's amazing that you got CRS to breed in a bowl. You use special water? Or plain old tap?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

nooo, i meant IF i get them to breed, that will be the best evidence for such a setup being suitable for shrimp.
So far they are still juveniles. They are supposed to be high grade too, so idk how they will fare in the long run.

I use Ro/DI water for their bowl to keep the water soft. I used to add Seachem Equilibrium to the RO/DI to get some GH back into the water (around 3dGH) but i really need to change my filters on the RO/DI unit because its spitting out ~16TDS now and that's too much by my reef standards. My reefs need clean water haha.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Shrimpsanity

Reefs...that's another level of water making...I bet that RO keeps the algae levels lower also.

Reefers....makes a $20-$30 dollar SSS CRS seem cheap
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

woah, $30 is intense for one shrimp, which is why i tried to go with SS grade lol.

RO water does help with algae. since my filters went, algae has increased in one of my reefs so i can tell more TDS is in the water (before i add my salt). New filters arrive next week so i will have clean water for them again.

Reefs are definitely not cheap but unfortunately, only once you've had some experience, and spent some good money do you finally figure out how you could have setup a casual but successful reef that was low cost :P

Back to this bowl though, I trimmed of an upper bit of the twig so it look better now IMO.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode